The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably, the smallest saltwater fish tank. LOL:funny: . I just got it set up and it's day2 of filtertration, and settling. I'm most likely going to do a reef tank set up. So, any suggestions for a complete saltwater fish tank nooby?¿:help: :wavey: :wavey: Also would like to know about how many fish i could have....

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
welcome to TRT! that is no where near the smallest tank. there are many much smaller ones around here on the forum, even a 2.5 gallon i believe. as for suggestions, get a skimmer, try to get one rated for much higher than your total volume, and your gonna need great lights, pcs are the cheapest but wont keep some of the harder corals, all the way up to metal halides, look around at prices and the the biggest and best that you can, even if you have to wait a little longer, it will be well worth it. for fish, i would say 2-4 small fish, depending on which ones you choose.

if there are questions, the reef tank has someone with an answer, and if no one knows the answer, everyone will try to help and learn the answer together, you found a great place here. hope you like it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leveldrummer said:
welcome to TRT! that is no where near the smallest tank. there are many much smaller ones around here on the forum, even a 2.5 gallon i believe. as for suggestions, get a skimmer, try to get one rated for much higher than your total volume, and your gonna need great lights, pcs are the cheapest but wont keep some of the harder corals, all the way up to metal halides, look around at prices and the the biggest and best that you can, even if you have to wait a little longer, it will be well worth it. for fish, i would say 2-4 small fish, depending on which ones you choose.

if there are questions, the reef tank has someone with an answer, and if no one knows the answer, everyone will try to help and learn the answer together, you found a great place here. hope you like it.
2-4 damsles or however there spelled? what about vertebrae like crab heh crabs ( i can be like hey i got crabs; wait, that's not a good thing....:rotflmao:) and shrimp and starfish.:blob: how big of reefs should i get? and what are some good beginner fish?
2.5 gallon tank...jeebus. what the hell do you put in that?
for give me for my ignorance and total noobyness. this is a brand new hobby for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pix of tank, the tank is a lil dirty. and those specs in the water are from the filterring. working on pix now...
it looks green cause the lights are bright white, and my camera sux. lol. the walls are an off white color, and i shot the pix in the dark.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

On a 29 you have a few options, maybe a few small fish like firefish, gobies stay small also, chromis, but I really would not put any Damsels in there, they are very aggressive and will take over the tank. It is true that the chromis are in the damsel family but they are very pacefull in comparison.
Are you getting any live rock for the tank? it will act as a natural filter, it is good to have around 1lb per gallon, I will add that sooner rather than later because when you do get it it will cause a cycle in there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any suggestions on light; by the way, this kit came all together like the : lights, filter, heater, and such.
any recommendations on heaters too? my heater only works for a lil while, and shuts off for some reason all by itself?
so i was thinking about putting in clown gobies citris/greens, cardinals, blennies, and maybe just clownfish? how many of each?
how many crabs/shrimp/starfish?:read: :read:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Heaters have a termostat, just like the AC in the house. It will only come on when the temperature reaches its lowest set point on the termostat.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the help guys! **** im learning alot already. So, i can go ahead and buy the live rock and put it in the tan? Of course, after i buy the skimmer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, is it ok if i get one of each of the fish that i have mentioned? clown gobies citris/greens, cardinals, blennies, and maybe just clownfish? how many of each?
how many crabs/shrimp/starfish?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So tanks specs are...
29 gallon tank:
1ft 5 1/2 inches high
2ft 6 inches wide
1ft in length
the cover is 2 ft6" long and 1ft 1/2" wide

Lights are 24" long and 18 watts.