The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my build specs. I have been trying to do this on a budget so a lot of used and diy stuff. Its been a lot of fun, though cycling is a drag. I am planning to eventually have a full reef/fish tank... if all goes well.

29 gallon glass tank
2-3" live sand from a nice, established tank. lots of small snails in it
33# fully cultured LR - very nice, lots of coraline algae, hitch hikers including button polyps and xenia.

equipment:
lights: coralife pc delux. 1 65 watt actinic and 1 6700k daylight
heater: elite 150 watt submersible
skimmer: CPR bak pak 2 HOB skimmer
pumps: 1x Koralia 1, 1x ?? 550 power head
filter: marineland 289 HOB with carbon (only use to clean water)

flora/fauna: 5 blue leg hermits (came with sand) 1 jade hermit, 1 mushroom (LR guy gave it to me) along with 1 kenya.

Plans: waiting on coralife 8 watt UV sterilizer. Also will be building a diy sump (in process) with a 20 gallon long.

Here are some pics! (Boring, no fish yet!)

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Nice! Is that xenia or that other coral i can never remember the name of? lol it looks like another coral because its stalks are really long and its yellowish, xenia has shorter polyps

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
haha alright because theres a coral that looks just like that and it has another name, ill try and find it for ya

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coral

Thanks Reeftanker! I like hearing the names of the different corals so I don't look so stupid when talking to others. Just getting the basics down at this point. Any info is very helpful. Any tips on hardy easy to manage yet a little more colorful coral? I know, a lot of requirements. I want to keep it simple till I get the hang of it. Thanks!

·
Tarpon
3,852 Posts
mushrooms..........zoas......leathers....I would stick around those corals at first....once you see them splitting and you get a feel for your tanks needs as well as the upkeep you will be dealing with..........then go to some LPS corals such as Galaxia... . or maybe a hammer coral.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Is it true sometimes clowns will symbiose with hammer coral? I heard this, would be nice to try in the future as I don't see my self getting into anemones until I upgrade to a bigger tank.

·
Premium Member
11,973 Posts
There is nothing boring about a tank with corals in it. :)

That actually looks like waving hand anthellia by the way, and not xenia.

Random, welcome to TRT. There are times when a clownfish may host with a hammer coral, but it is not really something that should be expected. Also there are times when the clown will host the hammer and irritate way too much to the point of killing it. You just have to keep an eye on things to see what happens if it does start to host the hammer.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My sump

Ok, so I ordered my overflow and pump for my sump. Using a 20 long for the sump. My question is do I really need to go through building baffles? Currently I am using a CPR bakpak HOB skimmer. It doesn't release any microbubbles into my tank. I will be moving that to the sump. Also waiting on my sterilizer to come which will also go in the sump along with my heater. My goal with this sump is mainly to get as much junk out of the display tank as possible and have extra water for a buffer zone. So do I still need baffles or can I be lazy and skip that step, just stick drain hose in one end, add equipment and return pump in opposite end? Thanks!
:pint:

·
Premium Member
11,973 Posts
You are going to want at least 1 baffle in your sump. That CPR Bak Pak is going to require the water level in the sump to be near the top in order for it to function properly. If you do not use baffles to achieve this, then when the power goes out you will not have enough room in the sump and will have a flood.

You can check out some sump designs and get more information here: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it. I see the need for baffles. You don't want the tank full to the line so if power goes out enough water will drain out of the tank until level is below your skimmer box. Thus you need some room in the sump for water level to rise if pump cuts out. I think I have the idea now. Am I right? I bought the acrylic today to do the over under over baffle set up. How high would you set the final baffle for return pump section?

·
Premium Member
11,973 Posts
You got it.

I am not sure how to calculate the height of the final baffle. Of course you want it high enough so that your return pump will not run dry, yet low enough to have room for the drained water. Maybe 6 inches, or half the height of the tank?

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sump substrate

Would you use a deep sand band and LR in the sump? I have heard different thoughts on this. I have some left over sand from my build, emptied the water and dried it out in the sun. enough for 6-7". Is that good or is it no longer viable?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.