The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Connor has had enough of the empty tank and he misses his fish. So after the dead sea disaster we are resetting up the tank.

( for those wondering what the dead sea disaster is well when you do an almost 100% water change with 1.045 sg you almost instantly kill everything in the tank.)

This tank is my 7.5 yr old sons tank, in his room, and his responsiblity.

Last month he chose his stocking list and finalized it this week - grated that is a long way off, but now that he has that we are both ready to build it again.

After much consideration I decided to to modify the tank at all and to let it run as is, so it will have PC lights, and I will add an ATO for it to help out wiht some of the water lugging.

We are currently trying the bleach and muratic acid method of cleansing rock - we shall see what happens. The rock was laden with phospates and we are giving this method a try and we shall see what happens.

So we put the rock in a rubbermaid bin, covered it in RODI water and added 3 cups of bleach and a power head to keep the water moving.

We will let it soak for 24 hours, and then rinse in RODI water.
Tommorow after rinsing I will add the muratic acid. I'll let ya know how that goes ;)

In the end we hope to have a lagoonal type tank with a cool rock structure held together with driveway reflectors, shallow sand bed, softies adn a few lower light lps, and the following fish...

Chalk bass
tiger watchman gobby with pistol shrimp
red scooter blenny
green clown goby
and a long nosed hawkfish
Unless I can convince him that a rubyheaded wrasse is much cooler than the hawkfish ;)

That's all for now!

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Conner, i look forward to the new tank. But a long nose hawkfish huh?!?! have you ever thought about a ruby headed wrasse instead?? :biggrinbounce:

Oh and if i could give you one piece of advise.................

Don't let your dad near the tank:rotflmao:
:thumbup: now that's my kinda advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Conner, Love the Goby and pistol shrimp idea. I always watch them when I go to the LFS. If I ever manage to get water in my biocube 29, I will have a shrimp and goby pair. Can't wait to see pictures when you get yours.
Good luck with your rebuild.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,216 Posts
Yep what Ray said. Our critters in our 28 gallon bowfront have nice personalities.

Just go easy on a nano and take itty bitty steps changing anything. I am not quite sure what went on with the stewardship of someone taking care of your tank, but I know the guy that did not give our cats water was replaced quietly with someone that could take the five seconds to do it right.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
FYI tank is totally empty right now so this will be a full on rebuild ;)
Another thing that I have found to use to pin rocks together are the plastic coat hangers that are 5 for a dollar or so at Walmart. Means I don't have to go to HD to get more, they are in the closet and if I have too many, they go back in the closet :)

The tank being empty is a lousy excuse, do I gotta get the squirrel out of hibernation?

Good luck with it Connor. Don't let anybody drill holes in it either!

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so the bleach bath

The rocks in Connor's tank came from a variety of sources - a neglected tank, a seahorse tank, and odds and ends from my 2 year old tank that had carbon dumped into the sump and ended up being chewed up by pumps and rained on the rocks :)

Then they were in Connor's tank for about 8 months with infrequent water changes and were starting to grow HA.

I decided to try this approach in all honesty because I am lazy and while I believe that cooking works, I don't' wanna do the work, so I thought I would give this a shot.

I placed the rock in a rubber maid tub and covered it with RODI water

i set a mag 3 in there and let it sit for 24 hours - here is the bucket after 24 hours

After 24 hours I filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full of rodi water and swished the bleach rocks - this is what the water looked like after swishing. ewwwwwww!

And here is the pile of rocks after the bleach bath

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
I make take this similar route with my new Biocube as well.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Yummy

·
Registered
545 Posts
well I put RODI in the rubbermaid and added a 1 cup muratic acid
here is the foam.

that's what i'm talkin about!!! :D

you may want to do it one more time after it stops bubbling.

oh - and there is honestly nothing to fear w/ the bleach or acid after the final rinse. you have my guarantee on that. ;)

do you have some pure ammonia ready to start the cycle?

good luck!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts