The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off i am new to this forum, and second this is my first saltwater tank. Yesterday i finally got my JbJ 28g NanoCube Led and i couldn't be happier with it. So far i have about 20lbs of LR, and LS, and a marineland 100w heater. Filled it up yesterday so this is day two. The water was clear this morning but i moved all the rocks around so it got cloudy again. I plan on getting a clean up crew as soon as my tank permits, after that id like to put some ocellaris clowns in with as much soft coral i can fit. Since i am new to this what do you guys think i should plan for? Species of coral? Good clean up crew? What else should i look into getting for my tank? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
IMO, the flow is not enough for this tank, what I did was I use the ocean pluse that came with the tank and set it at 60 secs. Also, I put a MP-10 pump to the top front right side to increase the flow and generates waves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to be a while until i can afford any more parts for the tank, do you think the original pumps are enough for a while?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also i took out the "ceramic rings" thats supposed to help right?

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thats not too bad money wise. I have both pumps on and the water level never gets too low in the back... possibly i have to filled up to much

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
For right now you are just fine. Your tank has to go through a cycling period during which there will be some die-off from the live rock that feeds good nitrifying bacteria that is important to have as your main form of biological filtration. Assuming the rock wasnt fully cured when you got it (and by that I mean it came from an established tank) it will be about 1 month before you will be able to introduce any animals into the system, fish/coral/inverts included. The reason is because the ammonia caused by the initial die-off is extremely toxic to all of these animals. Shortly after the bacteria that process ammonia are in healthy numbers the ammonia levels will drop and you'll get a spike in nitrITES, also toxic to these animals. About 1 month from now both ammonia and nitrites should be undetectable (you'll need to get the appropriate test kits at your LFS to confirm this, and make sure the tests are not expired) you should have a detectable amount of nitrATES in your system. At this point, it is ready for a modest clean-up crew (snails, cucumber, an emerald crab perhaps), but not too many as these do best when there is leftover fish food to eat. since you will introduce these first, you have to be careful to make sure that there are enough nutrients in the system to sustain the population. THe first algae bloom is a good sign that your system can support life, and also a good indication that it's time for some snails.

Of course, you'll also want to be removing the nitrates pretty aggressively from your system once it is fully cycled, and you'll need a protein skimmer to get that done for you. You said you are tight on cash, so between now and a month from now you should try to have enough saved to invest in a good protein skimmer. Dont skimp here, the cheap ones break easily and are inefficient. I would also get a couple of powerheads to put in the tank as the flow will likely be too low for your needs. those can also wait until you have livestock. Also, down the road you may want to invest in a Kent Reverse Osmosis water filter to remove phosphates and silica from your water source. these compounds feed nuissance algae growth and can lead to many-a-heartache down the road.

good luck. im sure im missing a few things, so others should feel free to chime in

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
IMO, the flow is not enough for this tank, what I did was I use the ocean pluse that came with the tank and set it at 60 secs. Also, I put a MP-10 pump to the top front right side to increase the flow and generates waves.
+1 Flow is always really good for everything (sps)

You can't do good without flow :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you gotreef, i definitely will be saving my pennies for a good protein skimmer, and i will see what i can do about getting some good flow going. As for the skimmer and the bulkhead. Also i noticed you talked about a reverse osmosis water filter. I get all my water from my LFS. Do i need to filter it again? and also the LR that i bough was already in a fish tank, does that mean it is cured?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
once again thanks guys for the help i appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for the skimmer and powerhead, what brand/model should i look into, ideas?

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
I'm guessing that your LR is cured, also your water probably is reverse osmosis, but to be sure you could get a tds meter and test it :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok that is kind of what i thought, im going down there today to drop off some water tanks ill make sure it is all cured if it is ill grab the test kit.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
As for the skimmer and powerhead, what brand/model should i look into, ideas?
I like the mp10 for smaller tanks
http://www.aquacave.com/vortech-mp10-esbr-propeller-pump-brby-ecotech-marine-2905.html
I would also look at a skimmer that handles more than your water volume
brands would be reef octopus or eshopps
http://www.reefoctopus.com.au/v2/pub/index.cfm
and if you have enough space this one would be good :)
http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Skimmer-Psk-75g-Tank/dp/B002442G70

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Sounds like it's already RO water if you're buying it from your LFS. This is good for now, but by investing $200 that will save you from buying 3 gallons weekly to do water changes, which will add up to $200 in no time. But, for now, it is what it is.

If the rock came from an established tank then it would be considered fully cured. However, that doesnt mean your tank is ready right away for livestock. Give the system time to equilibriate and let the good bacteria seed the sand and water column. Given, though, that it was previous cured, i would say that COULD cut your wait to 2 weeks, but even if you read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites before then i would remain patient. Things go bad quickly in this hobby when people lose patients. I can say that it's personally cost me several HUNDRED dollars over the years. Best to wait, test your water personally and also have it tested at your LFS. Be weary of their advice, they are, after all, out to make a profit.

If all the water checks out then in two weeks time you should be ready to roll with some inverts!

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
Yeah, I agree with gotreef, you need to seed your tank, it'll take 2 weeks, but to be sure, I would suggest longer.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I like the mp10 for smaller tanks
http://www.aquacave.com/vortech-mp10-esbr-propeller-pump-brby-ecotech-marine-2905.html
I would also look at a skimmer that handles more than your water volume
brands would be reef octopus or eshopps
http://www.reefoctopus.com.au/v2/pub/index.cfm
and if you have enough space this one would be good :)
http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Skimmer-Psk-75g-Tank/dp/B002442G70

+1 for MP-10
the skimmers are too big for the tank, wont fit. Speaking of skimmer, for the size of this tank, skimmer "maybe" not needed. I currently dont use one, I make sure water change weekly, so far, all water parameters are in check.....just my option.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts