The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just bought a 28 gallon bow front tank....was thinking to make it a reef tank. I just need some help... Filter option....can I just used like 50 pounds of live rock? 20 pounds live sand? Everywhere I read it is something different....Also I have a 24" coralife power compact with lunar lights...now what bulbs should I get?..

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So What I have so far ....

28 gallon bow front
45 pounds live rock
20 pounds black live sand
2 Koralia 425's
Jager Heaters EBO Jager Heaters: : 100 Watt

I ordered the Live rock from Liveaquaria.com....What else do I need to get started?

· C'est la vie
4,191 Posts
A light would be helpful to view the tank, and if you plan on keeping coral in the future. Otherwise it looks good, you could get a HOB skimmer but its not necessary IF you do regular water changes. I would get 1 more powerhead, put them all on timers so they will alternate and you will have more random flow.

· C'est la vie
4,191 Posts
As RO, yes. As RO/DI, no. You have options, either go to the LFS and buy RO/DI water or buy your own unit. I own my own unit and I love not having to make a trip to get water when I need it. I fill my ATO reservoir every few weeks and thats it. I highly recommend getting one, but buying water from the LFS is good too.

· C'est la vie
4,191 Posts
Distilled would work too, it should all be good. I would just go to the LFS because they usually are up on their membrane changes, where distilled water from the grocery store could be coming from any bottling facility and could contain trace amounts of things you dont want, though its unlikely.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess its better than tap water...This is my second tank kinda...I had a 55 which I tried turning into a reef tank but I think I rushed and it crashed...So 6 months later here I am giving it another try..The right way..lol no rushing and a lot of questions...Instant ocean reef salt I have..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.