The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last weekend i purchased this tank off of craigslist for $40, and it came with LR, LS, a powerhead, lights, a stand, and a space in the back for filter media and the like. after taking it all apart and cleaning it (which was a painstakingly long process since ~%80 of the tank was covered in coralline algae), i've set it up and have moved my green spotted puffer into it. i have to replace both heat sinks that were in the top, along with the lamp ballast, and will be fitting a piece of acrylic to the hood to prevent corrosion in the future.

i was wondering, is that back area considered a sump?

also, this is going to be a BB tank so i've lifted the rock with some carefully placed pvc ranging from 2-5" high

here's some pictures i've taken over the past few days, i'd love to hear any suggestions/advice!!! :flowerplus:

the back wall of the tank after removing most of the algae, this alone took about 2.5 hours of scraping with a razorblade and dissolving with toilet bowl cleaner

corroded wires which have now been cut back, cleaned up, and rewired with new caps

one of the heat sinks

the tank as of this morning, only put a light on it so i could get a picture, otherwise there's no light on it since i'm trying to 'cook' the rocks in the tank. cleaning the bottom daily which means i'm also doing %10 water change every day. you can also see my puffer in the back :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
You used toilet bowl cleaner to clean this tank?!!! Oh my!! Not a good start! How well did you rinse it? Terrible idea to have a fish in your tank while cooking your rock. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Can you home your puffer elsewhere until your tank is done cycling?

Your tank is known as AIO (all-in-one) The back area is known as the sump area. Usually the center chamber is turned into a small working refugium. Housing some LR rubble/micro algae as in chaeto and of course lighting. Others will add chemical filtration such as ChemiPure Elite, carbon and some type of filter media like a poloy fiber.
Where did the idea come from of raising your rock in that way? I've never seen it done before :) It's very different. Personally I'd be a little nervous about stability issues. Please please please research, Setting up a salt water tank!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the puffer isn't living in there! sorry should've mentioned that, he was in there for maybe 15 minutes while i broke down my (previously) freshwater and replaced the water with the saltwater from that tank. it was either put him there or put him in a 2g and i felt more comfortable with him in the larger tank. and yes i slowly acclimated him from brackish to saltwater so we wouldn't be too stressed by all this

in my opinion i rinsed the tank extremely well, i used a pressure sprayer to rinse that back wall which is the only place is used the toilet bowl cleaner then i filled and emptied it until i didn't see any bubbles, then i lightly scrubbed all the walls and filled and emptied it again to make sure i got everything. honestly i didn't want to use toilet bowl cleaner, which is why is spent almost 3 hours scraping it off with a razorblade, but at the end there was a thing film that the razor couldn't get off or a scrub so i quickly ran the cleaner over the back wall and rinsed it almost immediately

i raised the rock that way because i saw it's better to lift up the lr so you can clean the detritus that falls to the bottom, normally people use eggcrate and pvc, i opted for just the pvc because i couldn't find egg crate anywhere and i don't have the space to keep the lr in a bucket or something so it was more of a quick substitute so it wouldn't damage the bottom of the tank. i did take my time in placing the pvc on the rock so it would be stable and then gluing the pvc on both ends, so nothing should move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.