The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to TRT. I have a 24g nano-cube by JBJ that we have had for a year now. I am taking over the tank since my wife has a new hobby (a new baby girl). I have been reading a lot of previous posts in this forum to learn more about my new hobby. I have been slowly taking over the tank from my wife during her pregancy anticipating that she would be too busy to care for the tank once the baby was here. I have been involved in the tank care since it's start up. I understand most aspects of the tank.

Here is my issues/questions:
(sorry for the long post)

The tank did very well from start up in November to June. However, in June, our torch coral and frogspawn died despite great water chemistry. The other livestock were fine. I replaced them with an inexpensive frogspawn a month later and it died as well. This was about the time that one of the canopy fans started acting up. Our water temp started rising as well (up to 80-82). So over the last few months I have tried trouble shooting and fixing things. I replaced both canopy fans (one was dead), replaced the bulbs (2 36w 10k 50/50 CF), added a second power head to increase flow (new hydor magnetic circulation pump 240gph), and changed/upgraded the power head pump (290gph). The water tests fine except the temp remains high at 80-82 degrees. I do water changes/rinse the sponges every 2-3weeks (using r/o and premixed saltwater) and change the carbon bag every month. The lights are on 11hrs in 24hr period (8am-2pm then 4pm-9pm). I feed one cube (frozen mysis or brine shrimp) twice a day. I suppliment with kent zooplex, phytoplex, and calcium (just started adding coral accel yesterday).
Here is a list of my tank contents:
3 Turbo snails
3 Zebra snails
2 Bumble bee snails
7 Hermit crabs
1 Small blue hippo tang
2 false perculas
2 fire shrimp (have survived for 1year)
1 Hawaiian feather duster
1 Green star polyp
1 Torch coral (added yesterday) on sand bed for now
1 Frog spawn (added 1 mo ago) in middle of water column
1 Diamond Goby
1 Orange ricordia (has split into 2 since we added 1yr ago)
29 lbs of live rock

So I feel (my rookie instinct and talking to retail personell) that my lighting is inadequate and my fans don't cool the water adequately (I keep my home a/c set at around 75-77degrees). I looked at the new artic chiller by JBJ, but it is expensive and bulky. I am considering upgrading my canopy to the new HQI 150W 14K MH canopy that JBJ is offering for the nano-cube. It has four fans instead of two and better lighting. I am wondering if anyone has purchased this new upgraded canopy and could offer me feedback about purchasing it to help my corals and lower my water temp. Please feel free to advise me on any other aspects that I have described in my tank set up. Thanks for your advise.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Welcome to TRT
I'm not familar with the JBJ MH canopy but I upgraded my nano cube lights to a current sunpod hanging fixture and I like it much better than the hood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. We do add calcium about 3 times a week. The highest temp that I saw was 81 degrees. I did not plan on adding 150w MH light but replacing the hood with the JBJ upgrade the has MH light only. Will coral do ok the MH alone or do they need the Blue/actinic lights. Also, will all the colors be displayed by the corals with MH lights alone? Someone suggested to me that I could replace one of the 50/50 bulbs with an actinic bulb. What are your thoughts? I tried to post some photos of my tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Are you testing your calcium and alk levels if you are dosing 3x's a week? what are the test results?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
look at it this way you have a one room apartment. you dont buy an irish wolfhound eventhough its small now. I am not going to argue it just my and many others opinion but i can look at this thread anymore without getting myself in trouble

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. My wife warned me about the reaction I would get about the hippo tang. Rest assurred, we plan to find a good home when he gets bigger. I would really like advice regarding my lighting question and not turn this thread into a different subject. Kelli, I have not tested my alk or calcium levels, but I will. I also purchased a digital thermometer today and it is reading 84.4degrees. So I think that temp may be my biggest problem. I have put my second powerhead on the timer with the lights in the hope that it will reduce the water temp. I dont know if the pumps elevate the temp very much. I was hoping that someone would be able to answer my previous questions about upgrading my lights.

·
Administrator
46,839 Posts
look at it this way you have a one room apartment. you dont buy an irish wolfhound eventhough its small now. I am not going to argue it just my and many others opinion but i can look at this thread anymore without getting myself in trouble
Yah know it's possible to approach an issue like this without coming off heavy handed, one can post nicely that it's not a good idea to keep a tang, esp one that can theoretically reach 12+" in a nano and get their point across that theres a myriad of reasons why it's not a good idea. We were all beginers at some point and one of the things that sets this board apart is that we will help new reefers through crisis without kicking down doors like BATF, thats not what this board is about :(

As to the tank, the temp is a but high and that will lead to lower O2 levels over time. the bioload in your tank isnt that bad with the exeption of the tang, but without good air/water interface for gass exchange CO2 build up can be a problem causing lower pH and using available calcium and buffer sooner, you really need to invest in good test kits for both calc and alk. personally i have little faith in color change pH kits and cheapo hydrometers, I would recommend a decent pH Meter and refractometer to accurately measure those params. They are tied in closely to alk and calcium levels

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I keep my water temp at 80-82 year round. 84 is a tad high. Do you have a glass covers for your tank?

I can't speak to whether or not that JBJ canopy will help with your temp problem...sorry.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Topless sounds like the way to go. What about the fish jumping out? Is it a problem? Kelli, do you have the 24g nanocube? If so, which sunpod light did you purchase?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Topless sounds like the way to go. What about the fish jumping out? Is it a problem? Kelli, do you have the 24g nanocube? If so, which sunpod light did you purchase?

I got this one
SunPod HQI Metal Halide 20 inch w/ 150W HQI Bulbs
I hung it from the ceiling Depending on the fish jumping may be a problem - my 2 have been fine though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts