The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 37 gal RR tank, keeping anemone and clowns with few soft corals.....? Clam.

CoralVue 4bulb retro......$215 (4x24w)
-or-
IC: end caps are $8/pr, reflectors are $18 ea. Aquamedic bulbs are $9ea, and a IC 660 $120....$280 after shipping.
I also see T5 ballasts for much less.

Or just do a MH ReefOptix pendent with IC ballast and 14K bulb....about $250 or so?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I don't have a full answer for this question, but I do have an observation. T-5 24" are neerly the same cost as 48", or were when I was looking into things. If it is just soft corals I bet there is a lot of used PC, VHO, MH stuff out there... and any of them will work for what you are talking about. T-5, OTOH, probably not much used.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If you go with IC 660 with IC SLR reflector, I would honestly start out with just 2 bulbs and add more later if needed. My hunch is that 2 ought to do the job. Also, keeping the endcaps cool is very key with the 24" bulbs when running an icecap.

I don't know there is much data out there on the Aquamedic bulbs. I would start out with either Aquablue or the UVL Actinic White and a UVL SuperActinic or a Blue+, depending on if you liked the VHO color that you had before or want to go with something a little more blue vs. purple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts