The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am working on the filtration for my 220G tank and I am confused. I have 1inch intake on the left dumping into a rubbermaid that houses my skimmer...which dumps into a bigger sump where the return pump is (3/4 inch plumbing). The right intake dumps into a 'fuge and flows into the return area.
I cant get the water in the skimmer surmp to equalize with the water in the return sump no matter how many micro valve adjustments I make. Thoughts/ Help?!
The skimmer is running on 840gph
the return is 1320 gph
the intakes are just wide open gravity run through 1 inch tubing

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(This is my first pass so any number of changes or scrapping can be done and the fuge is not complete, just threw a rock in to help visuals). I just dont understand why I cant get the 2 sides to equalize by altering the valves on the return.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Typically the two compartments would be connected with bulkheads and plumbing below the water line so that the two compartments are at the same water level, then the skimmer output can be directed wherever but not relied upon to maintain the water level in either chamber since you would have to perfectly match the skimmers output to the returns output which is finicky if not impossible.

This seems like a very atypical design for a sump to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts