The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

· Registered
7,856 Posts
It's difficult to get things here, but then again, most people don't have this view from their front porch... worth it...

(The wall seen on either side is a straight wall, the panorama is a little weird on the iPhone)
You are living the life...that's just wrong as I'm in Wisconsin, but I'm going to the Turks and Caicos at the end of the year.

Your build is looking very good!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Canopy is basically done. The only thing left is to install the lights (when I get them), route out some channels for the cables on the MP60s (when I get them) and install some sort of ventilation. I have a 10" 120v fan from when I repaired an old ice maker. I'm thinking if I wire this up to a u-ground plug (with an inline fuse) then the apex can control it, it's quiet and low-draw. I'm trying to figure out if the apex temperature probe will work out of water. i don't see why it wouldn't. I have a few spots for extra temp probes on my apex and I may use it to help regulate the temp in the canopy.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well... Salty Supply has consolidated ALMOST everything now. I ordered a lot of items they didn't keep in stock and it's much easier to ship things here as one pallet rather than a bunch of individual boxes. They should be consolidated this week and then it goes on the ship which should take another week or so. I also have clients on board for the next two weeks. So I won't be doing much. I did, however make my manifold before I left out of all 1" PVC (I had tons left and figured bigger couldn't hurt). It has outlets for Chiller, Calc. Reactor, Biopellets, carbon, GFO, one return to the return section of the sump, one return to the downstream end of the refugium facing upstream for a little bit of flow, and one spare outlet in case I find anything else to add. I also put a vent grille in either side of the hood and a fan on one side so aid in a little air flow through the hood. When I manage to get everything else there will be updates! It's going to be like Christmas.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
OK... so we're all sitting here waiting on this shipment... I realise I never actually said what was in the final order so here goes:

Neptune Gold Package
Neptune WXM
Neptune I/O Box
Neptune Temp Probe x2
Neptune PM1
Neptune Lab Grade pH Probe
Neptune Energy Bar 8
Neptune AFS
Neptune AWM
Seaside Aquatics Magnetic Probe Holder x3
Multiples of all the calibration fluids
300W Eheim Heater x2
Aquaeuro Apex 1/2HP Chiller
AI Hydra x3
AI 18" EXT Rail x2
AI EXT Hanging Kit
Waveline DC12000
Vortech MP60 x2
RLSS R8-I Skimmer w/ Waveline DC6000
GEO 618 Calc. Reactor w/ Eheim 1048
DICI CO2 Reg with Bubble Counter
5lb CO2 Cylinder
A.R.M. Calc. Reactor Media
Nextreef MR1 x2
Nextreef SMR1
Seachem Matrix Carbon
Ecobak Plus pellets
Various fish nets
Cleaning wand
Magfloat scraper
Pretty much every Red Sea Test and Supplement available
New Life Thera-A
New Life Marine Formula
Neptune Crossover Diet
Aqueon Water Changer
28" gloves

I had tried to order a hydrofill ATO pump but Salty Supply has discontinued them. I'm waiting on an email back as to what might be considered an alternative... Any low flow pump will do as it will be controlled by the apex and some float switches in the sump. I'll post again when Chris lets me know what he thinks.

· Veteran Newbie
3,825 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
"Come on Captain...when's the order supposed to arrive?" Said the Sheltie waiting impatiently :D
You're telling me... I'm back home for a week and half in a week so I'm hoping it'll be here so I can have Christmas! The next challenge is figuring out how to move all my water. I have a Jeep CJ7, a Cherokee, and a Range Rover... I'm thinking I'll take the back seat out of the CJ7 and use it. It has drain plugs and I can wash the whole thing out... we all know how much steel loves salt water. I'm going to order a 100 gallon bladder tank and install a 12v pump on the wheel well with a 100ft hose. Ideally I can use this both to fill water (I can drive right onto the beach) and also to dump water into the tank (the hose will reach from the driveway through the front door). I'm really just trying to avoid getting saltwater damage to any of my vehicles... As long as there is no leak I should be fine, but bladder tanks have a habit of breaking (that's why we don't use them! I had a black water bladder explode once... a 7 day sail in the tropical heat with a bilge full of feces isn't fun...) but I'm not sure I can obtain a rigid tank in an economical fashion. I have also looked at 55 gallon barrels for the job but worry that the footprint really localises the weight too much. It's a little more weight than two heavy people in the back seat and it's an off-road drive up a 50 degree incline...

21 - 40 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.