The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new tank in a couple of weeks... Its going to be at work on my desk.

Dimensions:
-20gal Long 30"L x 12"W x 12"

Lighting:
-70W MH HQI JBJ Viper K2 Fixture 14,000K or maybe a 20,000K

Filtration:
-Ecosystem Hang-On-Back Refugium w/Protein Skimmer

Stocking:
-10lbs. of LR (I want an open sandy bottom look to the tank with maybe some Calupera Macro Algae coming up from the sand).
-My RBTA that is very unhappy under my 150W MH in my Solana... I am going to move him to this tank.
-Derasa clam
-2 Clownfish(I'm not sure which kind yet)
-Various Zoos
-Various Ricordea
-maybe a Mangrove Tree (I'm not too sure about this as I have not researched it yet... any advice is welcome!)

Thats about it for now... I'll post pics when I get the initial set-up up and going. Thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clam wouldn't be a permanent. I would either trade it out or keep buying smaller ones. Anytime that I've had something get too big I either give it away or sell it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is how the set-up looks completed...

No sand or LR yet... I'm filling the tank up with water and putting the EcoSystem Miracle Mud in the HOB Refugium tomorrow... It says your supposed to let it sit like that for a few days so I guess thats what I'm doing. Then I'll be adding the sandbed, LR, and Calurpa. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
just a thought, could you put the heater in the hob? One less cord / piece of gear in the display. Looks like a really nice setup, makes me wish I worked at a desk (but only a little).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone... I really appreciate the comments. Yes, I will be moving the heater to the refugium. I just put all the sand, LR, and Miracle Mud into the tank today and it looks pretty nice. I decided to not do what the directions said about just putting the Miracle Mud in there. It seemed a bit silly to do that then just leave it sitting for a few days. I bought 16 to 17 lbs of Marshall Island LR... it looks really cool. I'l post some pics ASAP of how it looks now. I work at a tattoo shop so I'm not actually at my desk very much, thats why I just decided to take up my whole desk wit the set-up! haha.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no... but I know a few people who swear by it... If it does what it says it does then I can see how it might be worth it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys...

updated FTS 3/23/08:

long-ways tank shot:

ID PLEASE! Sold to me as "Blue Xenia" and its definitely an Octocoral. Any ideas?

Yellow Zoos Rock:

New Ricordea florida:

Refugium:

Thanks! More updates and pictures soon!

·
Registered
310 Posts
sweet...looking good

did you go down the caulepa route at all? couldnt see any...prob best to use sea grass or some other macro if you do due to toxicity..

1 - 20 of 76 Posts