1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at setting up a 200 to 300 gallon reef tank in about 10 months
I have a 40 gallon tank now so this will be a huge move
buying things as i go since this will be a major investment
Can you you experienced reefers tell me exactly what all i am going to need and give me ideas on brands and systems.
Thanks!

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
What are your tanks dimensions going to be? Will this be a custom design? As tcamos said, the overflows depend on size. Also on how you want the tank placement. You don't want a whole ton of flow going through your sump so you probably won't need more than one or two honestly. Use wide PVC for your drans, 1.5" would be good. 500 to 700gph of flow through a sump is plenty IMO so plan for that. For flow in your display tank you generally want your GPH to be between 30 - 50 times the tank size, so 6 to 10k gph in a 200 gallon display and 9 - 15k gph for a 300. You want to spread that out as much as possible for you while remaining aesthetic to your liking. You can use powerheads, closed-loop, or a combination of both to get your desired flow. Definately keep us posted if you have specific questions throughout your build. Have fun and good luck with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.