The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wouldn't do one every week. It's recommended you do 20% a month. Doing 20% bi-weekly would be plenty. The only time I would do more is if your levels were spiking with livestock in the tank

·
Registered
600 Posts
do how ever much you need to siphon out all the detritus, including the sand bed. whether that be 10% or 25% (weekly)
+1

And that uses up about 15 gallons for me, which is 20%.

On top of that, I don't do them on a regular basis (yet). I do them when nitrates or phosphates are approaching the "stress" levels. So that could be every 3 to 7 days, just depends.

In the last 30 days I've done 5 water changes, so I do average one every week, but sometimes those changes are 3 days apart.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i have been doing about 10 gallons a week on my 46 gallon. which i figure to be about 25 percent given the amount of rock i have in my tank.

I have been reading alot about water changes, and have found a good article about water changes here is the link:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

But if you start reading it you have to finish it, when i first posted this article a guy took one line out of it and basically junked it. Any article written by these guys on the site where this is found has merit, wether you agree or disagree after your research and experience is up to you. I truly enjoyed the read tho.

jb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts