The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade to a metal halide system for my 29 gallon biocube. I have the option to purchase a 20” SunPod 1x250W HQI Fixture by Current USA with all mounting materials and 2 brand new bulbs for $200. My tank is cycling right now but months down the road I would like to have an anemone and a variety of corals.

Will this lighting system be too much for my 29 gallon Biocube? I would imagine 175 would be more reasonable for my set up but I really like the 20” SunPod 1x250W HQI Fixture if it could work with this set up. Any thoughts are appreciated and let me know if any more informations is needed. Thanks!

( I would post a link to check out the lighting system but am not able to do so yet. You can see it if you go to aquasythe)

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
The new BioCubes come with an HQI light already so clearly it won't be too much but I think it isn't really necessary. A good T5HO fixture will produce enough light for that tank to keep SPS and anemone without adding the heat that an HQI will and will be more affordable in the long run due to bulb cost and electricity. LED is really the way to go for that tank. The AI Sol Nano is a great light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biocube HQI comes with a 150w MH and since the one I am looking at is 250w I was curious if it would be too much. I have looked at the AI Sol Nano led as well as the Kessil A150W led. From what I have read it seems like they are great led's but either one will run me around 300. I know the MH will be more expensive in the long run due to energy but I also understand the the light produced will be slightly better than the led's. Would the 20” SunPod 1x250W HQI create enough heat in my system to where I would need a chiller? If that is the case, then I would definitely rather go led.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
I do not agree that the light will be better than the LED's, not even slightly better. Especially when talking about the AI Sol Nano. Yes, the LED will cost more now, but if you take the cost of bulbs and the cost of electricity into account, as well as the heat issues, LED's cost less and produce a net savings for the aquarist. It's hard sometimes to spend the $300 now and not later, I understand, but you will be spending more on the MH in the long run than on the LED fixture. Again, I do not at all agree that lighting quality is better on the MH. On the contrary, when talking about the AI Sol Nano, the light quality is going to much much better. That unit uses CREE LED's in three colors.

I used a 20" Nova Extreme Pro fixture on my 29 gallon BioCube which was nice and cool. Without the hood, it's pretty easy to keep the BioCube cool but with the light you are talking about you may need to raise the light higher to reduce temp or run a chiller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the detailed reply, tcamos. I have been watching vids and reading about the AI Sol Nano and starting to lean in the direction of the sol blue. Would you recommend sol white or sol blue or is that just more preference?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will wait for the Sol nano... Didn't take me too long to be sold on led over MH! Haha thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the AquaIllumination Nano Blue Touch Controlled LED System online at Saltysupply. Are they going to release a newer version of this or is this the new version that you have been talking about tcamos?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts