The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i found this website that claims to have live rock straight from the marshall islands for 2.00 a lb. what do you guys think??? well i hope this help a few people out. also if anyone has done buisness with them let me know if they are decent. thanks

www.oceanlife-int.com

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this company is only in l.a. and i'm currently stationed in san diego maybe i'll take a drive up there this weekend to see if it seems legit.

i'll try not to get arrested for tresspassing j/k

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
2 year old collected LR? and it's "not colored"?
hmmmm, IMO, it might be "dead" rock,or close to it.
2 yrs, and had any kind of sunlight/light on it ,,,i would think it would be better than "should color up"
if it was in SW and inna system, i would tend to believe it would be kick -butt, or some kind of "nice" rock.
base rock at best,,,,got bad vibes about this one,,,,
sure don't sound like "live rock" to me,,,
you need to check further, and ask questions b4 you take the plunge, IMO

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Well I buy Marshall from about the only guy who exports it out of the Marshalls, and I can't buy it for $2/lb. I don't know what this company's story is, but you know the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is..."

I'll shoot the link over to my MI guy and see what he says....

Jenn

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
OK heard back from my guy. It's a long, sordid story, but all I can say is what I said above.

You get what you pay for.

Jenn

·
Registered
56 Posts
marshall Island

I ordered from them 2 weeks ago and got the rock. I also posted what I found here a few days ago. The rock is all white and yeah you get what you pay for. It has been in my tank for about a week and I am starting to get some color on a few pieces. I got some really nice pieces from them and if you do order from them don't do the online order form. Call them and you can tell them exactly what you want, that's what I did and I did get pretty much what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Yep its the sordid boat rock story, If I remember correctly the company selling it is the catalina water company, just under another name. I believe it took a half year to get the rock back and do some of the friendly things that happen in the LA importing industry they go stuck with 40 tons of it. The rock has been sitting for two years and is dead. But to be honest it would come back to life if seeded with fresh Live no problem. If you grind them they will sell it for as low as 1 buck a pound:D ;)

So it could still be a good buy if you like the shape and design of Marshalls rock.

Jenn, you got to get vance and RG to loosen up the purse strings a bit:beer: :D

mike

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Since I'm a man who loves ledges in a reef aquarium one of the show case pieces looked great for just that purpose!

They are definately not "Live Rock" like we know it to be but in time they would have coralline algae and critters will establish homes in the rock! JMO

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have bought from them. I actually drove down to the pier where they are located and saw the huge vats filled with rock. They told me the same story and I believe it. YES, it is not all live rock, most of the good stuff has died off. BUT, after having this rock in my tank for about 8 months, it has grown many live critters slowly, the coralline is taking over slowly, and it was DARN CHEAP. The shapes are awesome! When I bought it, I paid 1.00 a pound. I took home 150lbs in my little ol mustang. The huge boxes wouldnt fit in the trunk, so I had to put them in the backseat, which they barely fit. All in all, I am thoroughly satisfied. IF you do not care about the life or the amount of color, then this is for you. IT is the Catalina Water Co. by the way. The lady(don't remember her name) was very friendly and helpful.

V :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with MOJOREEF hammer them on the price the will go lower if you buy 100+ lbs. They are very easy to deal with and the life comes back, and IMO you very rarely ever get what you pay for but this is a very good price and shipping is cheap via air cargo like .32 lb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.