The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st Saltwater Tank and I just started the Cycling.
Little Tank Info: 24x24x11 29g. almost 1 full bag of SD(Thanks DARKFROG), skilter 250 (dont laugh:rolleyes: all I have as of now) ALL R/O water, 1 large shrimp 1 24" fluorescent light. Only 4.2lbs of LR.. 06/28/03 was the Start and now the PH=8.0 Ammonia=2.0 Nitrate=5 Nitrites=0 Salinity=1.022 Temp 78F
Ok the Shrimp has this Whitish Clear Film covering it, and Smells (not too bad)
1Q. Do leave The Shrimp in the tank for the complete cycle?
(Ive herd both,leve it in ,take it out)
2Q. Do I need more LR?
3Q. The Sand is only alittle over 1" deep, Do I need more Sand?
4Q. Is the fluorescent light OK,and will the Light help Produce Coraline algae?

If Im doing something wrong Please LMK
Thanks for ANY Info.

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
q1...leave it in would be my guess. it should be pretty well decomposed by the time your ready to add anything (critters). i would remove any residual remains before adding anything to the tank.q2.... if your planning a reef i would think betwwen 20 - 40 pounds is what youd be shooting for.q3.... i like a at least a 4 inch bed. but others would be happy with a 1 inch. personally i dont think 1 inch is functional.
q4.... in my opinion a flouresent light is worthless for anything more than a fish only tank, for a fish only it's perfect one more observation as long as amonia is showing itself on a test i would not add any life to the tank. if your planning on adding more rock add it now before the cycle is complete

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
q1 --- If it was me I'ld take the shrinmp out. If you allready have amonia then your cycle is started. The shrimp will only make it last longer --- but I wouldn't have put the shrimp in there in the first place. Also when you add more LR you'll probably go through another cycle again anyway.

q2 --- I agree w/ wasabi 20-40 lbs of LR and it needs to be added before any other critters/fish.

q3 --- The sand is a personal preference thing. If your looking for a functional DSB (Deep Sand Bed) then you would need at least 4" of sand. If you want the sand just for looks then 1" is more than enough.

q4 --- There are many indiviual strains of coraline. It can grow under minimum lighting and it can grow being blasted by MH lighting. Flourescent lighting is OK for a general reef but not many SPS corals will work under it. Most LPS and softies would work ---- but you need moree than 1 24" bulb. If you don't want to go MH than I would look into PC's They make a nice 96 watt power quad that is approx 18" long x 8" wide. I think you can get a retro kit for around $100 - $120

q5 --- OK you didn't have 5 questions but here's the answer anyway --- Start dosing w/ a calcium supplement immediatly. That will be the biggest determining factor in getting coraline to take hold. Get a calcium test kit and dose to keep the calcium level between 400-450

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, Added some more LR (@ the Aviarium) and Removed the Shrimp Today.was almost all gone anyway.

The Tank is only 11" high from Rim to Rim. I would like a DSB but that would leave 7" so I think ill wait.
Im going tomorrow to get some bulbs for my PC (78w)
The coraline was already in the 1st LR I bought, I just didn't want it to Die off.
This is By No Means going to be a "Show Tank".I am setting this up as a Learning tool for myself and Daughter (9y). Just getting my "Feet Wet" with the real thing and don't want to Kill anything. I Would like to Keep LR (Alive) and a Clean up crew, mabey a small fish or two. I have a RR 100g, but it will be a little while before I can set that one up. been reading for a while, But Looks good on paper untill you start trying it yourself. I know the fluorescent light was not going to cut it, that's what I had that would fit over the Tank at the time.

Thanks
wasabi
c_k_kuehne

But Please if anyone has any Tips or info to share, Please do so!

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.