The Reef Tank banner

1st Power outage

1K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  dwall174 
#1 ·
This morning we experienced our 1st power outage since the tank went up 1 year ago. Just after I left the house, I got a call that the pumps and lights were off. The weather is excellent, so not much fear of catastrophy. Just a overcast day on the reef.

Power came on 1 hour later and all is fine. I guess we get power outages here due to moderate temperatures, sunny blue skies and zero wind conditions. And I thought it would take the 'big one'.

#2 ·
Everyone turns on those AC units and look out... rolling blackouts are coming! Isn't California wonderful?

But man, tell me the weather right now isn't absolutely perfect. Go on, I dare ya! Should be 90 by the end of the week. :cool:

#8 ·
thats what i did on the 55. filled the tank. fileld the sump, had it all runnin. shut it all down. then fileld the sump to within 3 inches of the top. then started it all up again and watched lcosely to make sure the supihon held. then kept turning it on and off a number of times, jsut ot be sure the sump didnt overflow.

when i was sure of the level, then i ran it again and marked the level in the sump, so i know how much to top off when i do my topoff :)

#11 ·
Someone reciently did a post on that but cant remember where I seen it seems it was on here ut not sure. (the notifying thing via pager)

Jeff

#14 ·
Calvinc4s said:
"I got a call that the pumps and lights were off"

Was that from a computer or someone you live with?
I think I remember the aquacontroler being able to do this and was wondering how well it works?
That's cool if either the Neptune or Octopus systems can do that! I would imagine that you would also need a UPS to run the computer when the power goes out?
I'm lucky I guess! A good friend of mine has his own alarm business & he install an alarm system "At Cost" for me! The alarm will send me a text message if the power goes out even if the alarm is not set!

I have seen several DIY plans for automatic power back ups & plan to try to build one (with my alarm friends help) here's a LINK for one that's a plug & play system

#15 ·
My webservers are located in the same house. and they will tell me if power is lost. So I can assume if power is out in one room, it will be out in the living room as well. And I didn't bother putting UPS's on my tank.

#19 ·
dwall174 said:
:D Yep that's one draw back :D But can't you just picture that priceless look that you'll get when you try to explain to your boss that you have to go home because your fish tank just called you to let you know that there's a problem? :funny:
Hey if you don't believe me, you can talk to the tank youself Mr. Boss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.