The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im a convert after being cloaked in failure for the last 8 months in my 30 gallon dsb sps tank. Im moving on to bigger and better thing Im moving up to a 72 reef ready bow front. So far i have it set up for a closed loop set up connected to a 4 way squirt. 2 250 watt mh and 2 110 vho's in the canopy. And a vs3-36 for a skimmer which is rated for about 5 and half times what my tank size is. Im not sure how big my sump should be and what kind of pumps I should be running. Also how much rock should i have in my tank ive been going crazy because im was on Reef Central and theres no one really there to anwser my BB ques.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!
Welcome to the BB experience!!

As far as the LR most have 1-2 lbs per galon, so at least 72lbs on your new tank. For flow some of the guys like a lot of it, more than 40-50X, so plan for that on your closed loop. Not familiar with that skimmer but if its rated that high I would guess it should be ok.
Hopefully some of the BB gurus will chime in.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
I suggest you read this post titled "how to go bare bottom"
http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66550

It is a long post but full of useful information.

I suggest around 1 lb per gallon but this is a weird rule, you want LR to give yourself someplace to put your coral, but you want it stacked loose so flow can easily get in and around it. You also want to ensure that you have only points of the rock sitting on the bottom of the tank, so the flow can sweep detritus out from under the rock. I have a little less than 1 lb per gallon, and I feel good about it because the rock is stacked loose enough to allow the tank to keep clean.

Circulation, you want the drain to your sump to run at just over what your skimmer can process, I have never heard of your skimmer, but if we say that it can handle 500 GPH you would want your overflow running down at about 550 GPH. You want this water overflowing into a very small chamber in your sump with the feed pump to your skimmer. This ensures that almost 100% of overflowed water gets skimmed. The next sump chamber would be where your skimmer sits, then the last would be your sump/settling area, this is were your return pump sits, and any heavy detritus that doesn't get skimmed drops out for later siphoning.

I say get the biggest sump you can fit, extra water volume is great, but remember that is more your skimmer has to skim so size the skimmer appropriately.

In tank flow, I have about 70X, some people have as high as 140X, some people run more like 40X it is all about how you use it. I recommend "Stream" style pumps, if you have the money, Tunze is an obvious choice, if you are like me, Seio's will work well too.

Welcome to TRT! I hope this gets you started,
Whiskey

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the Boards!!!! :D

As wiskey said, Tunzes are the best choice; super high flow coupled with very low power consumption. The drawback is that they can be very expensive. The SEIOs are sort of a "poor man's Tunze" I run them, and they are OK; be sure to keep the clean so that they run at thier best.

If you go with the closed loop setup, the Sequence Dart is a good choice to run your CLS with. From what I understand, a Dart will give you about 2,800 GPH (with fitting losses), or about 39 X tank volume turnover per hour. If the flow is applied properly, your corals (esp. if you will be keeping SPS) should be very happy with this setup :D

The Darts do consume more electricity than do Tunze's or SEIOs, but are energy efficient for an external pump.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!! :D

- Michael

Sabaku_No_Gaara said:
Well im a convert after being cloaked in failure for the last 8 months in my 30 gallon dsb sps tank. Im moving on to bigger and better thing Im moving up to a 72 reef ready bow front. So far i have it set up for a closed loop set up connected to a 4 way squirt. 2 250 watt mh and 2 110 vho's in the canopy. And a vs3-36 for a skimmer which is rated for about 5 and half times what my tank size is. Im not sure how big my sump should be and what kind of pumps I should be running. Also how much rock should i have in my tank ive been going crazy because im was on Reef Central and theres no one really there to anwser my BB ques.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
What would you attribute the demise of your DSB tank to? What situations in particular did you see on your corals/tank inhabitants that made this tank unsucessful? I ask because BB is not our miracle cure for everything and there could've been other factors (on top of using a DSB) that made your tank fail.

Welcome to TRT and to what I like to call "The Devil's Rejects Forum".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well first off lack of skimmer for one i was using a bak-pak that wasnt pulling anything out. I ran a hang on back emperor filter and that didnt go well. It was mostly me rushing into it. Now im back and scorned so this time its war. Ive done quite a bit of reading and decided this was my route.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sabaku_No_Gaara said:
Well first off lack of skimmer for one i was using a bak-pak that wasnt pulling anything out. I ran a hang on back emperor filter and that didnt go well. It was mostly me rushing into it. Now im back and scorned so this time its war. Ive done quite a bit of reading and decided this was my route.
Your going to do very well!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is your 30 gal still up and running or have you torn it down? If it's still up, add a skimmer that's decent and see what happens. A good skimmer will likely made a HUGE difference. Get rid of the emperor, especially if it was a biowheel model and add some power heads for more flow. Even if you know for sure you will set up the new tank, the old 30 can be used as a nice quarantine tank or prop tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts