The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you know, my wife and I picked up a new house in Osceola. Saturday I am moving my 180G reeftank, and have been working to get everything ready. I am moving the tank in before we move ourselves in.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Tore out the carpet and laminate flooring in the livingroom, and Foyer.
2. Installed Porcelain tile in both rooms, and did what I think is a kick *** job on the foyer. I put in a square box in the middle of the foyer. Here is a Picture:

Here is where the tank is going (room in the background). It will be centered across from the 6' front window, so when the blinds are up, anyone who drives by will see right into the tank. I am sure I will have some people asking to see it.

3. Ran a new 20amp circuit to handle the load of the tank and lights.
4. Built a sub-stand to go under my current stand, to raise my tank about 10.5". This was easier than building a whole new stand, since I am fairly happy with the one I already have. Built from 2x10's (4 of them running the length). I also engineered a 2" drain with P-Trap, that will let me do my water changes and just drains right out the side of the house.

5. Porcelain tiled the substand, and finished grouting it today at 4:00am.

That's it so far, but my plan is to cut a whole in the side of my current stand, and extend it another 2.5' to the end of the wall. This is where I will put my OM8 with the new Reeflow Super Gold Dart mounted to the side of the tank, similar to Bender's setup.

I am also planning to plumb another sump together with my current sump, to be the spot for the skimmer, calcium reactor and to act as a bubble trap (have all the returns drop in there). I will plumb it with 1 or 2 2" bulkheads into my current sump, so I can make sure to get the water slowed down and the bubbles gone. I am still going to run my Snapper as the main return.

I have a friend who has a nice video and digital camera, and is going to kindof document the whole move. I am planning on keeping my sandbed, but worried that when I stir it up, some bad things my happen. I am switching both of my phosban reactors to carbon and will run them for several weeks after the move, with pretty decent flow through them.

·
Student of the Reef
1,003 Posts
The new stand riser and all of the tile work look great. I am working 12 hour midnights this weekend or I would come help you move the beast. Take lots of pics of the new setup for us.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Aaron, I knew you of all people would appreciate the tile work. I will make sure to keep getting pics along the way.

Dave, I feel the same way about stirring up the sandbed, but I basically have to remove it to be able to move the tank (it's like another 400 lbs in the tank). I have done it before and nothing really bad happened, but I am more nervous now since it has been several years that it's been in there.

I am thinking that one day is not enough time to locate some old southdown sand for the tank, so i will stick with what I have.

·
Super Moderator
22,175 Posts
Nice job so far on the build Jaime :beer:

Will be waiting for the invite for the house/tankwarming celebration :fireworks:LOL.

Keep us up to date on the progress :wavey:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
hey this is in indiana LOL..which part?i may be able to attend a meeting if you have it!looks great so far by the way -drew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The move went perfectly, no losses of fish or corals (yet). Paul, thanks, but those would have been way to heavy, we used mostly 18 gallon rubbermaids and 5 gallon buckets. I moved the whole sandbed (but didn't put it all back into the tank, maybe 70% of it). It really didn't stink at all, which surprised me.

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Dave. I'm there for you 100% when it's time for your move. You really made it easy, and I appreciate the time you invested yesterday. Brett helped out as well, and saved me making a run for bulkheads (which I turned out not to need).

I started at about 9am, with everyone showing up around noonish. We had the tank in place and corals and fish back in around 7:30pm. I then went to get something to eat at about 8:30. I had to drive my friend who came from Iowa to help (Don Day) back to his parents cottage in Michigan.. It was about an hour away, then headed back and got to work again at about 11pm. I got the skimmer, lights, calcium reactor and carbon/phosban reactor all hooked up and running, and got home at about 3:30am. Quite a long day!

Big Fishy, Nimas is northern indiana, mostly Goshen/Elkhart to Valporaiso. I'm in Mishawaka, and we have lots of members around the South Bend area. Welcome!

Here are a few pics (11 I think) of the day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh I forgot, the Watchman Goby is doing fine today (he got buried in the sand, and when Dave pulled him out, he looked totally dead). Also, the 2nd purple headed fire fish that we never found, was in the tank today doing fine. He must have made the trip in a rock I guess.

·
Super Moderator
22,175 Posts
Sounds like the move went well Jaime :agree:. I see you had your jobsite foreman out on the driveway keeping things moving smoothly (give that Doxie a treat from this fellow Doxie owner :wavey: )

I'm sure the tank will bounce back in no time, after the move. when you start something like that with a well run tank, a move seems to not bother it much.

:wavey:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Joe,

Yeah, I guess it was planned. I have moved the tank like 3 times before, so it's pretty easy now. First was from Runaway Bay Apartments to my old house, then to my current house, then again when I put in the wood laminate floor, and now to my new house. I just turn up the heat in the house to 78 degrees so I don't have to worry about temp drop as much.

Chris, Sorry you weren't feeling well, but hopefully you are better now. You can come check it out after I get everything up and running at the new house.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The move went perfectly, no losses of fish or corals (yet). Paul, thanks, but those would have been way to heavy, we used mostly 18 gallon rubbermaids and 5 gallon buckets. I moved the whole sandbed (but didn't put it all back into the tank, maybe 70% of it). It really didn't stink at all, which surprised me.

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Dave. I'm there for you 100% when it's time for your move. You really made it easy, and I appreciate the time you invested yesterday. Brett helped out as well, and saved me making a run for bulkheads (which I turned out not to need).

I started at about 9am, with everyone showing up around noonish. We had the tank in place and corals and fish back in around 7:30pm. I then went to get something to eat at about 8:30. I had to drive my friend who came from Iowa to help (Don Day) back to his parents cottage in Michigan.. It was about an hour away, then headed back and got to work again at about 11pm. I got the skimmer, lights, calcium reactor and carbon/phosban reactor all hooked up and running, and got home at about 3:30am. Quite a long day!

Big Fishy, Nimas is northern indiana, mostly Goshen/Elkhart to Valporaiso. I'm in Mishawaka, and we have lots of members around the South Bend area. Welcome!

Here are a few pics (11 I think) of the day.
tank looks great in its new location, and about the barrels, i just put them in the bed of my truck and pump the water to the truck and from the truck back to the tank, i try to save my back as much as possible :)

·
Student of the Reef
1,003 Posts
Hey Jaime,
How is the tank doing now that it has been set up for a while? Happen to have any pictures?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts