The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my question is...do you think a 120g would be that much easier to take care of vs. a 180g? I'm going to do a major overhaul to the 180, and am thinking with life as busy as it is, maybe I should downsize to a 120. My wife isn't very thrilled about it, as it seems I'm always buying another tank, etc...but if people think it'll be much easier than my 180, I'll probably do it.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
D I orginally was going to go with a 180 but figured with evap and the extra light that the 120 would be as easy to care for as the 75 that I currently have.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
redwinger said:
D I orginally was going to go with a 180 but figured with evap and the extra light that the 120 would be as easy to care for as the 75 that I currently have.
The evaporation is kinda a PITA with the 180. When I do the rework, I'll probably put an exhaust fan into the hood, or something along that line.

But do you think that it would be that much easier to care for a 120 vs. a 180?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
To me, only difference from a 180g and 120g is the extra MH required. For other hardware nothing really changes much as not really worth trying to downsize to a smaller skimmer or anything.

As far as presentation, 180g seems way larger to me and more impressive than a 120g does because of the extra length.

Easier to maintain, to mean really just means less corals to there technically is less to maintain from that standpoint but not much else.

The bigger bang IMO if you wanting to make things easier is to consolidate some tanks you already have running.

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
I would say that a 180 is almost easier to maintian if it is in good condition. I know that I have said this before but I find that my tank is a lot easier since I put a HUGE UV on it, if interested I can help/ sell you directrions on builing your own for a LOT cheaper.

Jon

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a 40W UV on the system. :)

I think David's post talked me into keeping my system. I think adding the ventilation and also running the tubing in the ceiling for water changes will probably be all I have to do to make it easier.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I doubt anyone would pay me what I think it's worth for the whole system, and I have 2 cats already, and I don't want another. :)

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
otolith said:
Well, I doubt anyone would pay me what I think it's worth for the whole system, and I have 2 cats already, and I don't want another. :)
How about a nice cuddly Jack russell terrier:thumbup:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
The smaller waterchanges would help you ;) along with the lessened heat from running 3-4 400w halides. Also the less electricity you would be spending in not only the tank but the extra ac power needed to keep the house cool from the added heat.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jeffie said:
D- you still want that sea swirl? I'd really like to get rid of it and could use the cash....
Yes, are we meeting sometime later today? Or Sunday would be the other day I could do it.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
redwinger said:
The smaller waterchanges would help you ;) along with the lessened heat from running 3-4 400w halides. Also the less electricity you would be spending in not only the tank but the extra ac power needed to keep the house cool from the added heat.
THe electricity issue is probably the biggest reason why I'd want to downsize.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
otolith said:
Yes, are we meeting sometime later today? Or Sunday would be the other day I could do it.
I just left a message in Albertville. I'll let ya know. sunday would probably be better for me...

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I forgot that you were using 4 MH vs. 3 MH currently. So heat and electricity is viable reason. But for maintenance issues really, I don't see much difference. I don't think that doing a 30g w/c is any bigger of a deal than say a 15-20g water change. The big deal is just getting motivated to do the water change which doesn't really go away.

·
1,035 Posts
OR a puppy, how about another kid. A snake? Lose it, until it eats your cats. While you are sleeping outside you can ponder which divorce attorney you should use.
Pfo's led hoods will come out then you can re-set up your current system cause you can't get enough $$ for it. Or, get the 120, 4x2' I am assuming and go from there.
Leave the current one up.....or...I'll start the bidding at $1k :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:
and I am kidding

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
David Grigor said:
I forgot that you were using 4 MH vs. 3 MH currently. So heat and electricity is viable reason. But for maintenance issues really, I don't see much difference. I don't think that doing a 30g w/c is any bigger of a deal than say a 15-20g water change. The big deal is just getting motivated to do the water change which doesn't really go away.
David remember this is the no water change king so the smaller the better and the more likely he would actually do them:lol: But yes 10 gallon vs 20 gallon changes are not that big of a deal.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Or a 26 gallon mantis tank:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts