The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
YES! I have official began my build. I am upgrading my 75 gallon. I will post some pics of the room that I am partitioning off and what the plan is.

-I ordered the tank today. Will be here on Friday (I know, quick huh)

-Will get a hundred pounds or so of live rock on Sat.

-Bought an Octopus 200 skimmer

-Bought a window A/C unit for the sump room to alleviate some of the burden on the chiller.

First question of the build - I want to install an exhast fan to pull some of the heat from the top of the tank. I need suggestions on equipment and where to get it. I want to run some kind of plastic duct work and have the exhast fan in the already breached window next to the A/C unit.

Thanks guys, TRT I need your help!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I am not sure of the brand. I ordered it from Mihn, definitly the best price in town. Probably from a local builder I will definitly need your expertise during this build Chris, especially on the technical stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Very nice...in-wall is my fav config...I've only had one in-wall and it wasn't nearly that big...but is was still way cool...so easy to get to everything for maintenance etc.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
First question of the build - I want to install an exhast fan to pull some of the heat from the top of the tank. I need suggestions on equipment and where to get it. I want to run some kind of plastic duct work and have the exhast fan in the already breached window next to the A/C unit.
Use PVC pipe to run the ducts with. Use a bathroom ventilation fan that you would normally see installed in the ceiling.

Good luck with the build and congrats on the tank.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use PVC pipe to run the ducts with. Use a bathroom ventilation fan that you would normally see installed in the ceiling.

Good luck with the build and congrats on the tank.

PVC? Really? Don't you think that will be kind of rigid? I was thinking some kind of plastic dryer-type vent extension (for lack of a better term) and a plastic scoop, somewhat like you might see on a dust collection system for a lathe.

Ok, bathroom venilation fan, but how do they hook up? Will I need to hard wire it? I would like to avoid that by getting something that will be 120v so i can put a timer on it. Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I would probably just use something like this:

http://contractorservices.homedepot...2727&pid=63863118-1086-4971-823e-2c603bc85159

Or if you need a long run you can get just the flexible ducting:

http://contractorservices.homedepot...3603&pid=04c8edea-1842-411d-98d7-f69e31ad309b

You could also use rigid aluminum (I wouldn't use the galvanized for a moisture application) pipe for something lightweight and rigid, which is how most dryer vents are run in new construction:

You could even run flexible or rigid duct and use something like this:

http://contractorservices.homedepot...2379&pid=b120d6b1-2ac3-469c-a14f-aff5da1b8b6a

Any fan you buy will probably need to be wired...if you wanted to "plug it in" you can buy an inexpensive extension cord and cut off the female end and wire it to your fan...then you could plug it into a timer.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Yep, I've salvaged many an extension chord to wire stuff up. You may also consider getting a humistat to kick the fan on when the humidity in the room gets above a certain thresh-hold. Maybe Hop had one of those, but I dont remember.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, cool. I can do that. Or my neighbor electrician. :)

NExt problem/solution. What to use to blackout the windows. There are two normal size windows that will be in the sump room. I need to keep the sunlight from the room. What are your ideas? The windows are pretty much covered by plants from the outside.

I promise to get pics up as soon as I get home so you all can "see" what I am talking about.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Ok, cool. I can do that. Or my neighbor electrician. :)

NExt problem/solution. What to use to blackout the windows. There are two normal size windows that will be in the sump room. I need to keep the sunlight from the room. What are your ideas? The windows are pretty much covered by plants from the outside.

I promise to get pics up as soon as I get home so you all can "see" what I am talking about.
Some sort of cheap blind. If they're mostly shaded, I don't know why you need to completely black them out. What is your reason for wanting to block out all the light? Some residual sunlight shouldnt cause algae problems.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you think it won't cause problems then maybe I'll just put some cheap curtain over it. I'm not worried about the show tank cause the back and sides will be painted, but I do worry about sunlight messing with the water in the 75 gal sump. Or should I not even worry about that?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Very Dark window tint for the windows... you can buy the type that hangs on by static, or the normal type that adheres on. or just a plain ol roll of black plastic. make a frame and mount it to the windows..

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Well if you think it won't cause problems then maybe I'll just put some cheap curtain over it. I'm not worried about the show tank cause the back and sides will be painted, but I do worry about sunlight messing with the water in the 75 gal sump. Or should I not even worry about that?
Not if you put a simple blind or curtain over the window. I can't fathom the need for more effort than that unless you start to have problems, which would surprise me.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, Lights...
I have T5's now over my 75 gal and really like them, but I can't find a 36" fixture that would span the depth of the tank, which is 24". I suppose it would be better to go with MHs. But i know nothing about them really. I want my lighting to be economical, yet strong enough to keep anything. What are my options with MH's without pulling an extreme amount of wattage.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Okay, Lights...
I have T5's now over my 75 gal and really like them, but I can't find a 36" fixture that would span the depth of the tank, which is 24". I suppose it would be better to go with MHs. But i know nothing about them really. I want my lighting to be economical, yet strong enough to keep anything. What are my options with MH's without pulling an extreme amount of wattage.
So this is a standard 180, right? 6'x2'x2' dimensions?

I've got T5s over my 150, which is only a foot shorter. I'm using 4' bulbs centered over the tank, and 8 of them in a retrofit easily fit over the tank and give plenty of light. If you stepped that up to 5' bulbs, don't be too quick to dismiss them as viable options.

For MH, you're looking at three 250W bulbs as a standard, but lately a lot of folks are pining after 400W setups. Personally, I think that's unnecessary. I'm pretty ignorant on reflectors, but maybe Whiskey can chime in on his experience.

Regardless, electrical cost wise you're looking at similar wattage (eight 80W bulbs vs. three 250W bulbs), and seeing that you'd probably run the T5's a bit longer than MHs, it's really a wash (now if you through in some actinic supplementation, the MH config will be anywhere from $5-10 more a month).

Bulb life becomes the biggest factor with sustaining costs. I've had my T5's running for about a year, and I don't plan on changing them soon. As a general rule, maybe we could agree that T5's give about twice the life of a MH setup. Figure $25 for each T5 bulb, $60 for each MH, your bulb costs over the life of the tank are about 75-100% greater with a MH setup. Now, a couple hundred bucks over the life (what, 5 years?) of the tank is (unfortunately) not a driving factor, so your personal preference should play a good portion of the decision.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this is a standard 180, right? 6'x2'x2' dimensions?

I've got T5s over my 150, which is only a foot shorter. I'm using 4' bulbs centered over the tank, and 8 of them in a retrofit easily fit over the tank and give plenty of light. If you stepped that up to 5' bulbs, don't be too quick to dismiss them as viable options.

For MH, you're looking at three 250W bulbs as a standard, but lately a lot of folks are pining after 400W setups. Personally, I think that's unnecessary. I'm pretty ignorant on reflectors, but maybe Whiskey can chime in on his experience.

Regardless, electrical cost wise you're looking at similar wattage (eight 80W bulbs vs. three 250W bulbs), and seeing that you'd probably run the T5's a bit longer than MHs, it's really a wash (now if you through in some actinic supplementation, the MH config will be anywhere from $5-10 more a month).

Bulb life becomes the biggest factor with sustaining costs. I've had my T5's running for about a year, and I don't plan on changing them soon. As a general rule, maybe we could agree that T5's give about twice the life of a MH setup. Figure $25 for each T5 bulb, $60 for each MH, your bulb costs over the life of the tank are about 75-100% greater with a MH setup. Now, a couple hundred bucks over the life (what, 5 years?) of the tank is (unfortunately) not a driving factor, so your personal preference should play a good portion of the decision.
Yes, its a standard 180.
I was unaware that they made 5' fixtures and bulbs in T5's

Maybe we can figure out a way to use my current 4' T'5 fixture with eight bulbs and supplement the rest of the tank somehow. I don't like the idea of having to supplement the MHs with actinics. Its much easier with T5's I feel.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Yes, its a standard 180.
I was unaware that they made 5' fixtures and bulbs in T5's

Maybe we can figure out a way to use my current 4' T'5 fixture with eight bulbs and supplement the rest of the tank somehow. I don't like the idea of having to supplement the MHs with actinics. Its much easier with T5's I feel.
Well you don't have to supplement MH, but many people do for looks. It also allows to see the tank for longer periods of the day, as a lot of folks will find that they only need to run MH systems for 5-6 hours.

I've only seen a few fixtures that are 60" long, but I know they make retrofit setups for 60" bulbs.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I have narrowed my options.

1) possibly buy a guy's six foot fixture with 14 bulbs. (My LFS is contacting him about it.) The fixture is two 3' x7 T5s. Cost new was around 800 he said. I'm not sure how much he is willing to sell his for though.

2) use my current 4' x 8 T5 in the middle of the six feet span and then find two other fixtures (one for each side) 2' x 4 if possible and mount them perpendicular to the 4'. It would look something like this from above. |-----------| That should cover a majority of the tank.

Option #2 is by far going to be the most cost effective.....maybe I just answered my own question. :)

1 - 20 of 478 Posts