The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given an already established, 180 Gallon saltwater aquarium. It has live sand, tons of live rock, one (1) black n white Clown fish and one (1) Coral Banded Shrimp. I want this to be a fish-only tank and I'd like to put lively, interesting fish in it as it is like a show piece in my living room. Suggestions on what to put in it and the best way to plan it out?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
You have a beautiful tank everyone would be envious of!

In my opinion, you should fill it with some Medium / Larger fish that are active

Yellow Tang is a staple IMO
Flame Angels are gorgeous
3 Lyretail Anthias
Banner fish
Bird wrasse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well a LOT has happened since my previous post! I slowly added some new fish, the most notable and most fun being a Dragon Wrasse and a Niger Trigger. All fish were getting along fabulously! Then the worst thing EVER: the Clown came down with ICH and infected EVERYTHING!!!! I quarantined all of the fish and treated them and started doing hyposalinity while I worked on treating and waiting 6-8 weeks for the DT to become healthy. Unfortunately I lost all my fish. I remember the previous owner had lost all of his fish (with the exception of the clown) to fin rot (and whatever else) and had a terrible red algae problem before and suspect that had a lot to do with the ICH outbreak.

But I am also wondering about the fish from my LFS. I only bought fish from one place. I LOVE them, they are extremely helpful, have really helped me a lot and seem to be right on the money with advice when I compare what they tell me to the extensive research I've done on the Internet. BUT lately I've noticed several of their tanks with dead fish, unhealthy looking triggers (that seems to be the case at ALL of the LFS's) and just yesterday I bought a Two Spot Goby for my BioCube. I now have a quarantine tank all cleaned out and set up for new fish before I put them either DT's. The Goby appeared to have 'white salty-looking specks' on his fins and is dead this morning.

So to my questions (finally - I know): What is the consensus on ordering fish online? Any recommendations? Advice?

·
The Fang Blenny
1,096 Posts
Well a LOT has happened since my previous post! I slowly added some new fish, the most notable and most fun being a Dragon Wrasse and a Niger Trigger. All fish were getting along fabulously! Then the worst thing EVER: the Clown came down with ICH and infected EVERYTHING!!!! I quarantined all of the fish and treated them and started doing hyposalinity while I worked on treating and waiting 6-8 weeks for the DT to become healthy. Unfortunately I lost all my fish. I remember the previous owner had lost all of his fish (with the exception of the clown) to fin rot (and whatever else) and had a terrible red algae problem before and suspect that had a lot to do with the ICH outbreak.

But I am also wondering about the fish from my LFS. I only bought fish from one place. I LOVE them, they are extremely helpful, have really helped me a lot and seem to be right on the money with advice when I compare what they tell me to the extensive research I've done on the Internet. BUT lately I've noticed several of their tanks with dead fish, unhealthy looking triggers (that seems to be the case at ALL of the LFS's) and just yesterday I bought a Two Spot Goby for my BioCube. I now have a quarantine tank all cleaned out and set up for new fish before I put them either DT's. The Goby appeared to have 'white salty-looking specks' on his fins and is dead this morning.

So to my questions (finally - I know): What is the consensus on ordering fish online? Any recommendations? Advice?
I'm sorry to hear you lost everything! ): I hate losing fish. Glad to see you have set up a quarantine and have not backed out of the hobby because of this... You should get into the habit of quarantining/dip/bathing everything.

How old is the tank? Did it cycle after you broke it down, moved and set it all back up again? (Usually ick attacks stressed out fish. Could've been the environment since the clown was already established and all the fish came down with it...)

It's probably better to stay away from buying fish from tanks with dead tank mates... Could be several different factors that are affecting ALL the inhabitants of the tank. I hope your LFS improves their business...

I have had great experience with http://www.liveaquaria.com/ and Foster and Smith in general are great! I have only had a couple things die (mainly due to shipping stress, acclimation and where my setup was age-wise... Regretful) but they reimbursed me for everything! They guarantee live arrivals.

You're gonna spend a lot of money in shipping however but that's another price of the hobby. I really hope you get everything you want in your 180! I am actually picking one up tomorrow for my 75 upgrade! Excited! :D good luck! :)

Oh, if you're still looking for stocking options, I went the peaceful FOWLR reef fish route. LOTS of options! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.