The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a new 135-gallon tank, and I'm trying to decide on lights. The tank is 72" long and 18" wide. I'm debating 175w or 250w MHs. I will be running T-5 acctinic supplementation as well. The tank in 24" deep and will have a sand bed. It will be a reef tank. The build thread is here:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107091.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
The bulb selection makes the 250 a no-brainer. There are only two decent bulbs for 175s IMO:D

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
250 with no doubt about it. Its easier to shorten your photo time or move your corals down, than it is to provide more light. Unless youre doing all softies, then 175 would be ideal. With 250, you shouldnt have any limitations on what you could keep in your reef (light wise). What you have flow wise may be a whole new issue though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya...I agree...here was the argument for 175s:

"I disagree.....so many want to run the 250's, and I have made the switch from 175 to 250 and if ever do it again am going back to 175. This was on a sand bottom 24" deep tank as well. You still get good growth and health of the corals. Will get more out of 250, but again you always get to a point where you wish the growth wasn't so much. Pklus the 175 supported everything for me. Anemonees, clams & SPS. Plus the 175's will cut electricity, heat, and posibly the need for a chiller. I never needed a chiller w/ the 175's even in a canopy! Now if you go SPS dominated, I'd say 250's."

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
250 with no doubt about it. Its easier to shorten your photo time or move your corals down, than it is to provide more light. Unless youre doing all softies, then 175 would be ideal. With 250, you shouldnt have any limitations on what you could keep in your reef (light wise). What you have flow wise may be a whole new issue though.
In terms of flow, I'm thinking the Sequence ReeFlo Barracuda pump for the CLS with an Ocena Motion 4-Way (to two mid level returns and one spray bar at bottom back). Then a Velocity T3 on two eductors for the main sump return (to a two 3/4" loc lines at the front, top corners of the tank. I'm either going to run a Sedra Pump 900 or a Mag 12 for the Fuge return pump. ....but that's not lighting now, is it? :lol:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if BB go with 175w, if sand in the tank go with 250's. i had 400w on my 125g when it was a DSB and i was thinking i needed more light.

it is all about keeping your phosphates in check. the lower the phosphates the less light needed.

what kind of suplimentation are you planning with the T-5's? added PAR or just pretty POP?

G~

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if BB go with 175w, if sand in the tank go with 250's. i had 400w on my 125g when it was a DSB and i was thinking i needed more light.

it is all about keeping your phosphates in check. the lower the phosphates the less light needed.

what kind of suplimentation are you planning with the T-5's? added PAR or just pretty POP?

G~
I'm thinking about the 72" Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO (PowerPaq 10,000K HQI lamp, SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 420nm & 460nm lamps) 3x250w and 4x39w actinic 460nm and 4x39w actinic 420nm and 12 moonlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts