The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is just a generic light fixture they put in tank packages. The lamp in it should give the wattage. You just need to get a lamp the same wattage, length in the spectrum you want. Hack can help with the spectrum.
Awesome, thank you! I'll have to get the wattage on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Alrighty! I got the tank and am super excited. I took a look at the bulb and it is a 15w bulb. What is the desired spectrum for a new bulb?

Edit: So after some looking around online I don’t think I am going to be able to find a bulb that fits this fixture, however I could get a new t5 fixture, or I could get an LED, and if I get a thin enough LED it can go under the current fixture as there is about an inch gap inside of the fixture between the bulb and the glass of the lid.

Shipping box Shelving Wood Table Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
I don’t know what your budget is for lights, but a kessil 160 we tuna blue would work and you can add the controller to adjust whites, blues and intensity along with ramping up and down. I have a few and as for LED I like them. They may have something smaller, not sure.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don’t know what your budget is for lights, but a kessil 160 we tuna blue would work and you can add the controller to adjust whites, blues and intensity along with ramping up and down. I have a few and as for LED I like them. They may have something smaller, not sure.
I think that is probably going to be above my budget, and I would have to remove the lid for that light as well, hmm. I was thinking something kinda like this, Coralife Seascape Mini LED Aqualight, 12"-18" L
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...VvGpvBB2C-gfaEAQYBiABEgIBsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I don’t know if this specific brand is any good.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Coralife are decent lights, I can’t really speak on that light, but coralife did make some good lights in the past with there T5 fixtures

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Coralife are decent lights, I can’t really speak on that light, but coralife did make some good lights in the past with there T5 fixtures
Okay, good to know, insight is always good. Do you have any recommendations on lights similar to this one.

Maybe for low light soft corals definitely not for a nem or higher light level needing corals.
For sure I wonder if it is enough for the corals Hack would send.

Does anyone have certain brands I should look into? If possible I would like to keep the light under $100 but I know thats not very reasonable if I want a good light, so I can go for $150 maybe some more depending on the light.

Also @hackshobby what kind of spectrum do I need to look into?

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Did a little digging with my 1st 2 cups of joe in me this morning, and came across one of my fairly recent PAR discussions....

Hey folks! Just past 18 months on my new lighting fixtures over our 210 gallon 'softies' tank. (2) 4' 8-BULB t5 with individual reflectors..... using ATI BULBS, (4)BLUE PLUS and (4)CORAL PLUS in each fixture.

I recently replaced my bulbs after 18 months of use, at about 10 hours a day.

Common wisdom when I started the hobby was 6 months between replacement, and gradually became commonly exceptable out to 12 months.

There was a video from BRS a while back suggesting the usuful life of quality t5 bulbs could be pushed out the a little.....12, 18, ? months. So at 12 months I checked my PAR, and there was insignificant change. Hmmmmmm, so I lowered our fixture from 14" above the tank to 10" above, and readings bounced right back up to NEW readings.

At 18 months I happened to have the 'extra' money, so all my bulbs got replaced. That's a bit shy of $400.00 for (16) t5 ATI BULBS.

PAR readings on our tank are taken at 1" below the surface, 12", and 24"

NEW (14" above tank)

425 @ 1"

270 @ 12"

185 @ 24"

USED 18 MONTH OLD BULBS (10" above tank)

350 @ 1"

235 @ 12"

137 @ 24"

Keeping a 'softies' tank, I see no reason to lower our fixtures to raise the PAR any higher.

Was pleasantly surprised these bulbs hold up so well over the course of a year and a half.

No idea if the longevity comes the the quality of ATI bulbs, or not?

Has anyone else been checking PAR in their aged bulbs?

Hack
Like I've said, I've been growing these under rather 'poor lights to these primo light', and they grew beneath it all. I would suggest leaning more towards the PAR readings I have above, as that would give you favorable lighting conditions for other types of Corals you may wind up trying.

I find what makes an even bigger contribution to my soft Corals is 'water quality'.
THIS IS EVEN HARDER and MORE ELUSIVE THAN LIGHTING....

I now keep or tank nitrate reading above zero, but at or below 5 ppm.......at ZERO I do notice a decline in their happiness. Above 5 ppm, OTHER ISSUES have an opportunity to set in that would effect the Corals......algaes for instance could pop up.
I am a notoriously LAZY reefer.....and I notice the times I allow my tank maintenance to go past my 'weekly interval' to 2-even 3 weeks.....though the glass looks horrible, the Corals look fantastic.

Hope some of this insight helps,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
unfortunately it's hard to find a decent inexpensive lights, lighting is one of the most expensive items we purchase for our tank and even for an small two bulb T5 they are asking pretty decent amount. Last night I was looking and even the two bulb fixture at that size was pushing 300. Now if you don't mind DYI you could build a T5 light buy buying the ballast and end caps and making a small canopy. Get better lighting and more intense lighting for your tank. It's how many of us started out in the early days with shop lite fixtures and cramming as many as we could above the tank.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
If I understand. Your problem right now is you can’t get decent bulbs that will fit your factory fixture, but would like to keep using it due to the way it looks on the tank.
what is the width of the tank? It maybe possible to get a different ballast and socket to power compact lamp in the fixture. As these bulbs are U shaped you will be able to get more light.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
unfortunately it's hard to find a decent inexpensive lights, lighting is one of the most expensive items we purchase for our tank and even for an small two bulb T5 they are asking pretty decent amount. Last night I was looking and even the two bulb fixture at that size was pushing 300. Now if you don't mind DYI you could build a T5 light buy buying the ballast and end caps and making a small canopy. Get better lighting and more intense lighting for your tank. It's how many of us started out in the early days with shop lite fixtures and cramming as many as we could above the tank.
I’m considering taking the fixture and putting a new ballast in it and taking the old one out, giving me a better light, but I would have to do some more research to see if I could even fit a light fixture into it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If I understand. Your problem right now is you can’t get decent bulbs that will fit your factory fixture, but would like to keep using it due to the way it looks on the tank.
what is the width of the tank? It maybe possible to get a different ballast and socket to power compact lamp in the fixture. As these bulbs are U shaped you will be able to get more light.
That is correct, the width of the tank is about 20”, I hadn’t thought about doing that.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Power compacts are good lights, very common in the all in one tanks some years back, I have been looking online for some, The 20 inches is making it some what a challenge. The actinic and 10K bulbs are still available

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Look at power compact lamps and see if any will fit inside the fixture. You can always have the ballast outside the fixture somewhere.
Alright, I’m looking into that, I’m having a hard time finding them as I’m not 100% sure exactly what I am looking for.

Power compacts are good lights, very common in the all in one tanks some years back, I have been looking online for some, The 20 inches is making it some what a challenge. The actinic and 10K bulbs are still available
Okay so I measured the fixture and it is 19 inches so the fixture could be something smaller like 18” because the space in the lid for the light is 18 inches.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
You can get 36 watt power compacts in 50/50 10,000k, actinic 18 inches long around 25 dollars and a ballast for it for around 56

Or you can go with LED

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You can get 36 watt power compacts in 50/50 10,000k, actinic 18 inches long around 25 dollars and a ballast for it for around 56

Or you can go with LED
Okay, so what all would I need to buy to make this setup?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Bulb
Ballast

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Bulb
Ballast
I was looking at the website but it is not working for some reason. Nothing will load past the first page.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts