The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty friends, so I am currently looking into getting a 16 gallon bow front and I need some help from the ‘hive mind.’

First problem:
It doesn’t come with a filter so I will need to get one along with a protein skimmer. Therefore what is a good idea for a skimmer and filter that won’t break my bank?

Second problem:
It has a kind of light I have never worked with before so I will also need help with that, I will post a picture with both the tank and the light on it.

Third problem:
This tank is going to be moved 4 times a year, so what fish could handle the stress of that? Yes I know four times a year is a lot, but if I am going to put a tank in my dorm room it has to be easily packable and moveable. Note that I move ~4-5 fish tanks 4 times a year already, so the process of moving the tank itself and keeping the water/fish is pretty much down to a science. However since it is saltwater it could be more interesting. This could be an interesting experiment, with caution ofc and careful observation.

Fourth problem:
Knowing the size of the tank and how often it will need to be moved, what fish/inverts would thrive in the tank? I know it’s small so maybe nano fish, and hermits/shrimp. Also I was hoping maybe an anemone and clownfish but it might be too stressful for the anemone. Also I’m not planning on getting any coral as it would simply be too much for them to handle the move that often, unless y’all think otherwise.

Fifth problem:
What’s the best way to kickstart the system? I can use water from my already cycled and thriving tank at home, I would just have to bring it from there, and the rock I will be getting should have bacteria as the person I am getting it from offered to put it in their water to give it beneficial bacteria. I know I will still have to let the tank settle before putting anything in it.

I have the rock situation basically figured out as it is going to be put together but in chunks that fit in 5 gallon buckets so that they can stay in water during the move but not risk breaking the bottom of the tank when moving it. Also when lifting the tank, it will have a piece of wood under it to support it so that it doesn’t crack. I’m really excited to see what we come up with as we go on this exciting journey.

Purple Wood Pet supply Gas Magenta

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Alrighty friends, so I am currently looking into getting a 16 gallon bow front and I need some help from the ‘hive mind.’
That's a pretty decent looking tank and probably a really good choice for a doom room
First problem:
It doesn’t come with a filter so I will need to get one along with a protein skimmer. Therefore what is a good idea for a skimmer and filter that won’t break my bank?
Not sure what breaking the bank is for you, But lots of shimmers are trash, I would go wit a aquamaxx HOB or a CPR backpak

Second problem:
It has a kind of light I have never worked with before so I will also need help with that, I will post a picture with both the tank and the light on it.
Going to depend on what you want to keep

Third problem:
This tank is going to be moved 4 times a year, so what fish could handle the stress of that? Yes I know four times a year is a lot, but if I am going to put a tank in my dorm room it has to be easily packable and moveable. Note that I move ~4-5 fish tanks 4 times a year already, so the process of moving the tank itself and keeping the water/fish is pretty much down to a science. However since it is saltwater it could be more interesting. This could be an interesting experiment, with caution ofc and careful observation.
I don't see a problem here , sounds like you got it already from doing it in the pass,
Fourth problem:
Knowing the size of the tank and how often it will need to be moved, what fish/inverts would thrive in the tank? I know it’s small so maybe nano fish, and hermits/shrimp. Also I was hoping maybe an anemone and clownfish but it might be too stressful for the anemone. Also I’m not planning on getting any coral as it would simply be too much for them to handle the move that often, unless y’all think otherwise.
most any invert will work and clown a good choice , if you are delicate with the anemone I don't see a problem, But now you know your lights are going to be strong good enough to sustained a sea anemone.
Fifth problem:
What’s the best way to kickstart the system? I can use water from my already cycled and thriving tank at home, I would just have to bring it from there, and the rock I will be getting should have bacteria as the person I am getting it from offered to put it in their water to give it beneficial bacteria. I know I will still have to let the tank settle before putting anything in it.
I know there is Bacteria in the water and with live rock from an established tank it will be like a tank transfer and can work will depend on your rock, for the anemone you want pretty stable tanks in order to give it the best chance of survival. I have never used bottled bacteria like fritzs but have been reading about success in stabilizing and speeding things up. or to just add some additional bacteria.
I have the rock situation basically figured out as it is going to be put together but in chunks that fit in 5 gallon buckets so that they can stay in water during the move but not risk breaking the bottom of the tank when moving it. Also when lifting the tank, it will have a piece of wood under it to support it so that it doesn’t crack. I’m really excited to see what we come up with as we go on this exciting journey.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
The light on the tank looks like the ones that come with the tank kits. You know tank, stand and light all together. It most likely has one T-5 lamp, probably around 24 watts. Some of these even have a sticker “Not For Saltwater “.
I would check for that first. If it doesn’t have that you could get a good lamp and it would be fine for fish only and maybe some mushroom coral. A clown and some shrooms would look nice, and much less demanding than an anemone.
I wouldn’t bother with a filter just a skimmer. Unfortunately any skimmer worth buying is going to cost around $100.
You didn’t mention substrate that I remember.
Bare bottom would be easiest, but if you want it I would go with a very thin substrate. That would eliminate any burrowing nano fish. That is just a thought Vinnie might have a better opinion on that.
If you get seeded rock, I would fill the tank and feed it for the fish you want for around a week then test the water. If no ammonia you are good to go.
I really don’t think an anemone would be a good choice due being constantly moved. Mushrooms In my opinion would be hardier and the Clown won’t care.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vinnie - I was thinking two clowns, an anemone and maybe some hermits & snails for cleanup crew, so nothing overly complex.

Jerry - Mushrooms would look really nice, but I am not sure they would appreciate being moved so often. But I didn't think about those being easy as they are pretty easy to keep. For substrate I was planning on using medium grade substrate with about an inch and a half, so its not super heavy to move. But I agree a goby would probably not be too happy with its home being destroyed 4 times a year, so for sand dwellers I was just thinking nassarius snails, as they just burrow and have fun in the sand.

For filtration I am currently looking at a two in one (Aquamaxx Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer) although it might be too overpowered for the tank, what are the thoughts on this? I will also probably put in a circulation fan

Back to the light (attached below), is it possible to change the bulb with a reef light? I know nothing about T-5's so I will need help on this front. If not, I think if I get a good but smaller light, I could possibly but the new light in the old fixture, but I don't really know.

If I work out the light situation, and am able to have an anemone, what is a good one that would get to a decent size, but not too big for the tank. I was kindof thinking that the anemone (wherever it decides to go) would be the centerpiece of the aquarium.

Comfort Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I would skip the filter portion and go with one of these
Gas Font Machine Home appliance Liquid

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Font Electric blue Liquid Machine Cylinder

I’m using this one in my seahorse tank and have used on a reef in the past

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Something that would also be cool is some macro algae. It will help with nitrates, just keep it pruned back in the back area of the tank. You be surprised how if taken care of really helps. And looks natural.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 242249
I’m using this one in my seahorse tank and have used on a reef in the past
Would something smaller like this work? Bullet-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer - Aquamaxx
Drinkware Liquid Fluid Tableware Font

I think that an anemone which really needs stability won’t do well where as, I think the shrooms will be more tolerant.
just my thoughts.
Thats true, I just thought the clownfish might like it, but I can always find a realistic fake anemone for them to chill in. Any thoughts on a t-5 bulb that would work for the mushrooms?

Something that would also be cool is some macro algae. It will help with nitrates, just keep it pruned back in the back area of the tank. You be surprised how if taken care of really helps. And looks natural.
I have some halimeda plant back home that got in the tank some how thats pretty cool, I'll probably bring some of it to put in this tank, I also have some plants in the refugium of my 75 that I will probably take as well to add more color.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I would say nowadays if you go with captive breed clowns it’s a good chance they won’t host an anemone, it’s not something they learn overtime and have a natural instinct for it like the wild caught.

as far as the skimmer, I’m not sure , way to many that preformance leave a lot to be desire .

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many people get sn anemone because they think the clowns need them and they end up hosting a power head anyway.
I would say nowadays if you go with captive breed clowns it’s a good chance they won’t host an anemone, it’s not something they learn overtime and have a natural instinct for it like the wild caught.
True, however, both of mine are captive bred and they host in a fake anemone, and even laid eggs about a month or two ago (the male ate all of the eggs though). So it would still be interesting to see if they host in a fake one. However if they don't like the anemone, what would be another good centerpiece for the tank?

as far as the skimmer, I’m not sure , way to many that preformance leave a lot to be desire .
Thats true, I could suck it up and get the larger one XD I'll probably go with the Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Stopper instead.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Hey Mr. C.....

YUP.....Softies - R - Us! 😁
Water Blue Natural environment Fluid Organism

Water Natural environment Underwater Organism Fluid

Like folks have said.....'Them silly Clown fish will host ANYTHING'!

I've had Hack's-Reef running for over 7 years now......I've run from almost disgustingly filthy, to near on ultra low nutrient.....
And when all's said n done, they like the less attention aspect of life. The vast majority of my softies don't like it when I go too clean....like a little dirt in the water.
I run my system now with Nitrates >0 but < than 5ppm And won't get mad if it climbs to 15-20 ppm, but that's flirting with life.

I love 'blessing' Folks Mr. C with frags from my system......and up till this year, I always shipped my softies Priority mail from the USPS, and would 'swallow' the shipping. BUT this past year the shipping industry has gone wonky......Priority that you could count on for 2 DAYS, took near on 4 this past year, and all the shipments turned to Orger snot. So sadly, though I'd be happy to ship you a handful of frags of Common Mushrooms, Kenya Trees, and GSP's, I will now only ship OVER NIGHT. I hate seeing life go to waste like that.

But the Corals would be free.
Hack

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mr. C.....

YUP.....Softies - R - Us! 😁
View attachment 242282

View attachment 242283

Like folks have said.....'Them silly Clown fish will host ANYTHING'!

I've had Hack's-Reef running for over 7 years now......I've run from almost disgustingly filthy, to near on ultra low nutrient.....
And when all's said n done, they like the less attention aspect of life. The vast majority of my softies don't like it when I go too clean....like a little dirt in the water.
I run my system now with Nitrates >0 but < than 5ppm And won't get mad if it climbs to 15-20 ppm, but that's flirting with life.

I love 'blessing' Folks Mr. C with frags from my system......and up till this year, I always shipped my softies Priority mail from the USPS, and would 'swallow' the shipping. BUT this past year the shipping industry has gone wonky......Priority that you could count on for 2 DAYS, took near on 4 this past year, and all the shipments turned to Orger snot. So sadly, though I'd be happy to ship you a handful of frags of Common Mushrooms, Kenya Trees, and GSP's, I will now only ship OVER NIGHT. I hate seeing life go to waste like that.

But the Corals would be free.
Hack
That would be a blessing! It probably wont be until late January, and I would have to ship them home as the school doesn't accept live deliveries, but I will double check on that. Thank you so much! I do have a question, what kind of lighting do you use? Do you have any experience with T-5s? And do they prefer white or blue light if I had to pick?

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Give a yelp whenever, there's plenty. 👍

I now keep of reef under t5's.....40 watt Coral Plus and Blue Plus.......I have (2) 4'- 8 bulb fixtures over our 210 gallon tank.

BUT, I have had them, juyst as happy, under old t8, and t12's 6500 K's, but was supplemented with loads of direct sun light.

I LOVE t5's, and have got them being rotated out over a 2 year period......at 12 months, I lower the fixture with the older bulbs, and put the new bulbs higher up.....and replace the older ones at 2 years. BRS did a study/.video and eluded to the fact they are quite capable of extending past the common thought of needing to be replaced every 6 months.....,MONKEY DO DO!
My PAR reading did not drop significantly till the 2 year mark.....by then I figured I got my money's worth out of them.
Water Blue Light Azure Organism

Blue Water Purple Gas Glass

Hack

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you know what kind of light I have here? I am not really sure what it is (this is the only picture I have because I don't have the tank yet, I get it Sunday, so apologies that I don't have more info). If I had to pick a specific bulb, which would you recommend? Or should I get another light? I just like the fixture because the case matches the rest of the tank and the stand.

View attachment 242246

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
It is just a generic light fixture they put in tank packages. The lamp in it should give the wattage. You just need to get a lamp the same wattage, length in the spectrum you want. Hack can help with the spectrum.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts