The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy I'm setting up a brand new saltwater aquarium. I basically got everything ready to start the tank except the sand. Should I get just straight up live sand or just mix it with dead sand? How much sand should I get for the tank I know I'm going to have live coral in the tank. As far as the weight im askin. Thanx a lot guys

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Chad. I was thinking about putting 150 pounds of sand I'm not sure if that's about right. I don't know hoe many pounds of live rock do I have to get.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
How much sand really depends. Personally I like to have a shallow sand bed (about an inch to an inch and a half deep) and at the end where my goby/pistol shrimp live it's a little deeper. I recommend this depth because it's also very easy to maintain...I do nothing to it. I also recommend (based on research) a fine grain sand rather than a crushed coral or larger grain substrate as larger has been shown to increase phosphates (and thus algae) in the tank.

So...150 pounds might be too much or be just right depending. The rock is far more important.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I would suggest that you get the rock first so you can place the rock and then the sand. Otherwise, when you decide to get rid of the sand for something coarser, you will play heck getting it out of the tank without causing your rocks to shift.

Of course, you could always go with a coarser substrate or even NO substrate right from the beginning, lol.

I have about 120 pounds of sand in my 90, maybe more and it is only 1/2 to 3/4" above the bottom band. So I am thinking that 150 may not be quite enough. I have some 3/4" HDPE sheeting in route which will allow me to ditch the sandbed and put down the HPDE, stack my rock and then put down some Caribsea Seaflor Special Reef Grade. That will allow me to point my powerheads toward the subtrate and rock and keep more of the detritus in suspension for the skimmer to take out for me. That means less siphoning which is a very good thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 150 tall 4x2x30" with bahama ooghlite(sp?) very fine sand and very bright appearance. I put in 9 20lb bags 8 in tank and one in sump. After all settled I've ended up with 2.5"-3.25" sand bed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx a lot guys. I am going to be using the live rock from my 65 gallon that I currently got running. I know I have to get more rock I knee like 100 more pounds got more then 200 right now. I bought 6 bags 20p each of caribsea indo pacific and black Hawaiin. I am going to be purchasing 3 more. By the way the sand is live. The only set back that I have now is the lights lol. I'm hearing a lot of about LEDs but don't know nothing about them. Does anybody know about any brands and how many watts would I need?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts