The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TCMAS Board of Director
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 150gal extra tall drilled tank (48"Wx24"Dx31"T). I've decided to go with a Euroreef skimmer, not sure what sixe yet, as big as I can afford. The one step that I'm really not sure about yet is the lighting. I'm looking at a couple of MH/VHO combo retro kits but have some questions.

1) Would it be better to have 3-250w MHs or 2-400w MHs? With a depth of 31in., do I want the more intense lighting or the less so the bottom of the tank has lower lighting.

2) Would 2-400Ws leave shadows compared to spreading out the light with 3-250Ws?

2)What type of bulbs? I can choose between 10k, 13k and 20k.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
people need to know, what will you be keeping in the tank?
your needs could go from MH to HO depending on the stock of the tank.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
If you are going reef you'll need MH with that depth and prolly 400's to boot.

BTW did you get the August meeting info?

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
deathmatch782 said:
For that depth of a tank, i'd go with 2 - 400W 10K w/ VHO suppliments
2-400w are good if you are runing 20K bulbs. you may like the 2-250w 10K if you also plan to add the actinic VHO or PC. JMO....lighting is one thing no one can agree on 100%!

·
TCMAS Board of Director
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tank is 24" wide. I would like to be able to do SPSs, LPSs and Acros. I've got a dozen different shrooms, toadstool, a bunch of zoanthids, one feather duster, bubble-tip anemone, clarki clown, regal blue tang

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
gogregerson said:
Yes, I did get the info for the August meeting. I'll be there.
Sounds good. Ryan has a cool set-up with the zoas...

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
tashier said:
2 400W would be perfect IMO. You should have 1 for each 24". For that deep definately 400w for any SPS or clams. Instead of the Euroreef why don't you look at the cheaper but nearly the same ASM skimmers. You can probably get more skimmer for your money.

I agree 100% on both accounts. For sps and/or clams at that depth you need 400w, and you can get an asm g4+ for about 350.00, which will do the job, and do it well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts