The Reef Tank banner

14,000K MH... Anyone see it?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  crab0000 
#1 ·
Folks,

I absolutely love the 18,000K spectrum and would love to have some 18,000K MH bulbs, but for the life of me, can not find any. I have seen 14,000K European spec bulbs and was wondering if anyone has seen them fired up.

The 20kK's are have just a bit too much blue in them and the 18kK's are an almost perfect white.

Anyways, I'm looking to get as close to 18,kK as possible, so if anyone has feedback ont he 14kK's or the 15kK's, I'd really like to hear what you thought of them...

#2 ·
Hey Buzz, I'm using the AB 10k DE that I was told are a true 14k bulb. In a empty tank they make the new white sand have just a slight amount of blue. My taist is just a bit more higher k, so i will be looking for VHO actenics. I agree 20k is too much,

#5 ·
I run the 14k venture and like the look, no need for actinics.

#9 ·
Buzz_Hog,

I've since changed out all the 15000K back to Ushio 10000K for reliability and intensity. It seems the 15000K bulbs that I used lost some intensity over time (about 6 months). Hello Lights had them new at the time and thought I tried them out.

For my prop tanks, I do have a Venture 10000K (which looks like 14000K) as newreefers stated. It is quite blue and does not need any actinic supplement. It seems to also bring out the colors of the sps. It's fairly new so I can't say what the long term affect is.

#10 ·
Cool.... Since there's only 3 weeks of use on the bublb I'm getting, it'll be some months before I'll need to replace it... I'll check back around that time and hopefully you'll have some good usage under your belt with the Venture 10000K...

Thanks for the input guys...

#11 ·
My LFS (JennM) has Hamilton 14K's on her tank and I have Radiums on my tank and IMO the Hamiltons look more blue. The big dif. is the Hamiltons are 175 watt and my Radiums are 400 watt. FWIW
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.