The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a couple of preliminary drawings for my aquarium. Here are some details:

- Approx. 130gal
- 30"X42"X24" peninsula style.
- 3 sides Starphire glass
- Black Silicon
- Eurobraced

There will be a glass partition built off back wall about 5" in depth with three compartments. The middle compartment is the overflow. The bottom of the overflow is drilled for two 3/4" bulkheads for returns and one 1.5" bulkhead for drainage. I plan on running a pretty low return rate of about 600-700gph. I'm currently thinking of using two small return pumps for redundancy purposes. Each pump returning thru one of the 3/4" bulkheads. The two side compartments will hold 2 Tunze Stream pumps. The outputs of the Streams will exit thru 2" holes on the front of each of the compartments. The Streams will draw the water in from a notch cut in the bottom of the glass partition of each compartment. I'm currently trying to decide on what size and how many Streams to use as well as where the holes for the Streams exit holes should be located up and down wise on the glass partition.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. More details to come.

97550Aquarium1.jpg

97550Aquarium2.jpg

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
dreaded red x's

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's very similar in design to Redwinger's new 120. I like that layout, keeps the plumbing and pumps out of the the display and gives you the 2 long sides to use for viewing. I would have built my 120 like that had the house accommodated it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I still have allot of decisions to make. My first dilema is circulation. The main circulation for the tank is going to be provided by Tunze Streams. Currently I have two holes shown on the glass partition for two Tunze Stream pumps. Here are a couple options I was considering:

Option 1
2 - Tunze 6000
(1 Tunze Stream mounted in each box)

Option 2
2 - Tunze 6100
(1 Tunze Stream mounted in each box)

Option 3
4 - Tunze 6000
(2 Tunze Streams mounted in each box)

I'm planning on this tank being a mixed reef tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option I have been contemplating is using two 6000 plus a Tunze Wavebox. I have one concern with the Wavebox which is how much noise is created when the water level rises and falls over the overflow. Does anyone have any first hand experience using the Tunze Wavebox?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Wave box's work better on tanks with the overflow in the middle of the longest wall. I tried one on my 75 once and the way was minimal. By placing the tunzes in the compartment like you have there you will see the water level going up and down when teh tunzes turn on and off. I will have to take a video of mine so you all can see the water level rise and drop in the compartments. Itself acts like a wavebox when the streams are set to pulse.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
redwinger,

Do you think just two 6100's will be sufficient circulation? How far from the top of the tank should I have the holes drilled? Currently I have the center of of the hole located 8" from the top of the aquarium.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
I think mine are roughly about 8-10" from the top of the water. For a mized reef that should be plenty if that is your only circulation.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Here is the video of the rise and drop of the water in the tunze compartments. When I shorten the interval on the multi controller it will bring the water all the way to the top of the compartment but will not overflow it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are some initial equipment specs that I am considering:
R.O./D.I. - SpectraPure MAXCAP RO/DI-90
Automatic Topoff - Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Calcium Addition - Deltec KM500 Kalkwasser Stirrer
Protein Skimmer - Deltec AP851 Protein Skimmer
Chemical Filtration - 2 Deltec FR509 Fluidized Reactors (one filled with carbon and one with ROWA).
Return Pumps - 2 Eheim Universal Hobby Pumps 1262
In Tank Circulation -Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit TS24
Heating/Cooling - TECO SeaChill TR20 1/3HP Chiller/Heater Unit
Sump - ReefMania Custom Acrylic Sump
I'm still undecided on lighting. Lighting is going to depend on weather I decide to have the tank built Braceless/Trimless and use a hanging fixture or else have an enclosed canopy made. Pretty sure I'm going to go with some type of combination using 2 - 250w Halides and 4 - T5's.

How does everything sound so far? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brandon L,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to go and checkout their website. Do you use a filterguys RO/DI unit?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to say no, but I will when I am ready to get water in my tank. I am still in the construction/planning stage too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not shooting for anything, I might shoot a hole in my new tank! :) Seriously, when I have the time to finish building the stand, hood and figure out how it will be plumbed. And with two kids under 5, that time is hard to come by. Wife owes me some nights in the garage though! January would be nice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Here are some initial equipment specs that I am considering:
R.O./D.I. - SpectraPure MAXCAP RO/DI-90
Automatic Topoff - Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Calcium Addition - Deltec KM500 Kalkwasser Stirrer
Protein Skimmer - Deltec AP851 Protein Skimmer
Chemical Filtration - 2 Deltec FR509 Fluidized Reactors (one filled with carbon and one with ROWA).
Return Pumps - 2 Eheim Universal Hobby Pumps 1262
In Tank Circulation -Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit TS24
Heating/Cooling - TECO SeaChill TR20 1/3HP Chiller/Heater Unit
Sump - ReefMania Custom Acrylic Sump
I'm still undecided on lighting. Lighting is going to depend on weather I decide to have the tank built Braceless/Trimless and use a hanging fixture or else have an enclosed canopy made. Pretty sure I'm going to go with some type of combination using 2 - 250w Halides and 4 - T5's.

How does everything sound so far? Any suggestions?
hey chris (right?)...i bought one of the pendants from your old tank...

brandon makes a good suggestion with thefilterguyz...fahz is great...i got all my replacement filters from them and they are top quality...

you can't go wrong with reefmania-you might even consider their kalk reactor-it works very well and the only "moving part" is an easy to replace maxijet-if something were to go wrong with it...obviously you're not cutting corners on this tank but i don't think you would be disappointed with it (for < 1/2 the $).

as far as the deltec skimmer-i have heard great things about that model...i owned the ap600 and it did a nice job on my 58-wish i had space to run the 851 (slightly too tall for a std tank stand-prompted development of the 701-cut down version which is good but you can't run the pump with the air tap wide open on the 701 because the reaction chamber is too short for all that air). do you plan to gravity feed the skimmer?

good choice with the tunzes!

as for the eheim returns-that will be alot of flow thru your sump and i would be concerned about noise and microbubbles. you could get away with as little as 400-500gph thru your sump...the tunzes will accomplish your in tank flow requirements. another option-alternative to the eheims (which i like for smaller tanks) would be an external pump rated for pressure driving a penductor or two...the penductors magnify flow like 5x so you could theoretically move 500gph thru your sump while creating 2500gph of in tank flow...maybe you have thought of this already though...

tg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts