The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yay i have fishees :rotflmao:
i got a school of 13 chromis, they were on sale only 2.50 each. they've been in the tank a couple of days now and have been doing really well, eating, no deaths (yet). they have been schooling, i guess because they are new. no fighting as of now, i think theres too many of them to single anybody out (hopefully)
when they see me they dart into the rocks and the tank looks empty again! they hide very well!
i bought a few snails, hermits and pepermint shrimp, i didnt get that much of a cleanup crew yet because im afraid at this point they would starve to death, although i am finally getting diatoms :D
i know i added alot at once, but they are sooo small that i really dont think they will have much of a bio impact. i wont be adding any new fish for awhile.
tank is 220g BB
heres a few pics, it was hard getting all thirteen at once lol..they seem to have formed schooling "pods". feeding time is comical, i'll get a pic of that in a bit :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
FWIW - I have 4 green chromis and 1 blue, had em for about 4 months - all still alive and they don't pick on each other much. I did intentionally put one much larger fish as I read that could help, so I put a huge foxface rabbitfish in, but they actually swim along with it frequently, so I don't think that particular fish made any difference.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I Want You To Keep Me Informed
I Want To Get A Couple Chromis (not 13)
In One Week I Wanna Know How Many U Have Left
yep this is my concern too
ive had chromis in the past, but only three at a time, and they always killed and tormented each other.
i suspect its because i didnt have a school. isnt anything less than 12 NOT a school?
i was going to do six, but im pretty sure 6 isnt enough and they would harrass each other to death.
13 is alot, is it enough though? not sure, maybe 24 would have been better...although that is out of the question, unless i do a chromis only tank lol

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW - I have 4 green chromis and 1 blue, had em for about 4 months - all still alive and they don't pick on each other much. I did intentionally put one much larger fish as I read that could help, so I put a huge foxface rabbitfish in, but they actually swim along with it frequently, so I don't think that particular fish made any difference.
size of the tank may play a role.
i had mine in a 55g, i dont think it was big enough.
these guys in the 220g allready act way different than the ones i had in my 55g. they seem almost "wild", and ban together alot quicker and just do more "natural" things...gee i hope i made sense with that one lol

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you :D
imagine how clean the tank would stay if i didnt add anything else
no way i could go through with that, its a nice thought tho :funny:

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts
These were my first(and currently) only fish in my tank.

I bought two, they disappeared, never found their fishy bodies. . .bought three more, one of them has again disappeared, the other two are doing well, darting around, eating well. . .have no interest in flakes, but will eat the two frozen foods I've found for them. Was looking at some blue fish today, but was afraid to get them in case they were damsel's instead of the blue chromis. . .will pick up another 3 when I can find 'em, cuz the books I have said to keep them in at least 5s

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These were my first(and currently) only fish in my tank.

I bought two, they disappeared, never found their fishy bodies. . .bought three more, one of them has again disappeared, the other two are doing well, darting around, eating well. . .have no interest in flakes, but will eat the two frozen foods I've found for them. Was looking at some blue fish today, but was afraid to get them in case they were damsel's instead of the blue chromis. . .will pick up another 3 when I can find 'em, cuz the books I have said to keep them in at least 5s
aww :(
i do have a few lil ones that just look weaker than the rest, kinda thin. they are eating though (prime reef flakes) but when they are that frail looking i wouldnt be surprised if those lil ones are the first to go.
next tuesday will be 7 days, i'll let everyone know their progress and how their harrassing behavior goes.
one thing i found with new fish and flake food is that its best to crumble it between your fingers first to make it really small. for some reason new fish just take to the tiny flakes instead of whole large pieces IME
then once they get used to flakes you can just add them the normal way.
i have frozen foods in my freezer that i rarely use, i save that only for the emergency non eating fish. i just see frozen foods as "dirty" :freak:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
tank looks great pastina! is this going to be a sps reef?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tank looks great pastina! is this going to be a sps reef?
no, i hate to disappoint, but this will be a non reef fish only system. see ive always wanted butterflyfish (racoons etc.) and they will more than likely eat corals up like candy.
but if the butterflys dont work out then hellz yeah i'll add corals :funny:
ive never kept sps so not sure if im up for that one, ive only done LPS and softees :)

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts
aww :(
one thing i found with new fish and flake food is that its best to crumble it between your fingers first to make it really small. for some reason new fish just take to the tiny flakes instead of whole large pieces IME
then once they get used to flakes you can just add them the normal way.
i have frozen foods in my freezer that i rarely use, i save that only for the emergency non eating fish. i just see frozen foods as "dirty" :freak:
I tried crumbling them up, and watched the little suckers eat them and spit them right on out LOL The LFS said that they were eating flakes as well as the frozen, but my two guys say phooey.

On closer examination, one is most definitely green, the other seems to have a purple tinge to it

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had 12 Chromis in my tank for 6 months now . I never see any aggresion between them and havent lost any .

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had 12 Chromis in my tank for 6 months now . I never see any aggresion between them and havent lost any .
i think that may be the trick, keeping a dozen at least.

well its day 7, all 13 are accounted for and no signs of any bullying. i see a scuffle here and there, but the loser quickly gets lost in the crowd and is forgotten about.
i finally got pics of all 13 together :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts