The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Somehow in an effort to get rid of a bunch of aquariums I ended up buying another one. Most here are familiar with the 75gal reef I started a few months ago. Well I also have 10G, 30G, and 120G freshwater tanks running. Not much in the way of stock in them. The goal is to use the 75G reef and put all my freshwater stock in there. It will easily fit - then sell everything else.

I found a 120G drilled tank with an overflow box, stand, and acrylic sump in the local buy and sell for $300.00. I dragged it all home yesterday and it is sitting in the garage awaiting prep and assembly.

I am going to fill it and do a freshwater leak test on it tonight. The seals look pretty good but there are a couple spots that may trigger a reseal. I will replace the bulkheads and do all the plumbing nice and neat with good valves and unions while it is in the garage & easy to work on I'd like to get the whole thing sorted before bringing it into the house for the final placement. I need to lay a new floor in the fish room and it needs to be empty anyway.

The stand is in good shape and will get a quick paint touch up just to make it spiffy.

The sump is acrylic - 30" with three chambers - looks to be in mint shape! It was cleaned and filled last night and as of this morning bone dry inder it. It is good to go. Pics and questions shortly.

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,748 Posts
The overflow is odd from the looks of it. Looks like it fills and drains from the top. Does it have an elbow that drops down on the inside? Are you going to paint the back?

· Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Here's my questions & concerns at the moment. All are subject to change.

Vinnie, you hit the first concern right out of the gate. The overflow box. It did not have an elbow pointing down - just the open bulkhead. It also doesn't have a secondary emergency drain. The elbow down shouldn't be a big deal to fit in but there isnt the width to get an emergency drain in there. I'll post better pics when I get home but that box is only about 6" deep. I am wondering if I shouldn't install a larger one. They are rated on flow are they not? Any idea what I can put through that one? I am thinking I may get into having anenomies and was considering running twin pumps for flow and no wave makers at some point.

I am new to sumps and not sure which direction I am running the water through this on. From the pic the water is flowing down through the chamber on the left so I am assuming that is where my filter bags and filter media will go. Middle is refugium & heaters? Right chamber is for pump and maybe skimmer/reactors & other toys & equipment?

I'd like to plumb it a little closer to the back of the tank and unfortunately the previous owner glued the threaded connections so there is no altering it unless I cut the bulk heads. I'll buy new ones and start fresh.

· Registered
8,953 Posts
Don’t know if you know anything about drain designs.
The Herbie is a good solid design.
It has a primary and secondary drain. The primary is a full flow drain with a valve to shut down the flow until you just have a trickle going through the secondary pipe. If the primary becomes blocked the secondary flows more and produces a gurgling that will make you aware of the problem.
The Bean is a Herbie with a third drain pipe as an emergency drain, it normally stays dry.

· Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I knew a little but hadn't really learned them. I have a single drain on the 120 downstairs and has an air hole to break the syphon and quiet it down. I do have a good sized weir on that tank I could use on this one. Would be a great place to stick my heaters & free up room in the sump. I gotta measure up a bit & see where the existing hole is actually drilled, It is offest from center in the tank.

I was also looking at some of the external set ups. That may solve a couple problems as I would have width to install a full bean set up and also would be tighter to the back of the tank so I could get it a little closer to the wall.

· Administrator
20,535 Posts

· Registered
8,953 Posts
Your overflow doesn’t have to be really deep as long as you have room for the plumbing.
Drilling isn’t hard. Just make sure you have plenty of water flow to cool and remove debris, go slow and don’t push on the drill. A jig is good to keep the hole saw from walking.
it might be fine to put an external acrylic box on the bulkhead but I would be wary of putting one on a single bulkhead. In my opinion it is too mich weight on the glass.

· Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll keep that in mind Jerry. Both the internal and external kits come with the drill bits and a template. I had intended to make a plywood jig and will do it in the garage so I can have the hose on trickle. My LFS guy drills tanks and he would come out and do it for me if I chicken out. I’ve drilled porcelain and marble tile before and it should be very similar I would think. Let the bit do the work.

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,748 Posts
You should alway support the plumbing to the stand. Like Jerry mentioned the weight of it can be two much. On glass tanks I will brace it . Never had a problem especially on thicker glass.

· Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is 1/2” glass I think. Will measure when I get home. I had intended to support the plumbing from the stand. It doesn’t seem like a big deal as it is very light but once full of water there is some weight there. Exactly why I am doing it in the garage. I can be fussy and catch all those little details.

· Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been thinking and planning a lot here about the possibilities of this new tank.

I have 7 fish and that will likely be all I get. 2 Cardinals, 2 Clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels (who are behaving now), and a Pearl Butterfly. Happy with those and don’t feel a need to add.

I have two corals and a rainbow bubble tip anemone.

Once the new tank is set up I was going to start adding coral but after watching the anemone I am really fascinated with it. Would an anemone dominated tank pose problems? I thought it might be cool to have the look of the tank change as they move around. Just concerned they may pick on each other. There are certainly no shortage of interesting ones to keep. Lots of Color and lots of movement. How would it affect my bio load compared to corals?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts