1 clown
1 LT Anenome
1 stripped Damsel
1 8 month old snowflake eel
1 stripped puffer / baby
1 goby added yesterday
1 Angel forgot the type "sorry"
1 Branching hammer two heads
1 Goniporia I think is correct spelling :)
1 Mushroom rock
T5 Lighting with 14 bulbs, still checking see what type, Blue,White and Yellow Bulbs

1 Week setup, 125 Gallon 72x18x22 was told it had cycled already, but I think I forced another as it is entering the ugly stage, the rocks nd sand in some areas turning brown.

I am getting micro bubbles are coming up from the rock area not fast but I do notice now and then there is no skimmer installed yet, also it seems to be around and out of the return nozzles where the water is coming from into the tank. The fish seem okay. also I have price question, my sump which is for 2 overflows and a 1200 gph pump with live rock.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't think your tank cycled in a week...and I'm not quite understanding your post, do you have a sump or are you asking about the price of a sump? The micro bubbles that are coming up from the rock area-are they coming from algae on your rock or are they in the water that is returning to the tank? Your ph is a little high, but I'd test your parameters daily as I think you truly have a period of cycling yet to do, and if so you will hit an ammonica spike which will be harmful to fish and corals...you will need to do frequent water changes with purified water...Do you know of anyone locally (maybe even the LFS who sold you the animals) who could hold your specimens while you get your tank cycled? It would probably save them and you a lot of headaches if you could start without animals in the tank. Hopefully others will chime in and be able to help...do you have any pictures you could post of your tank and setup...sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LFS I bought the tank and all supplies from, and who set it up said that it was ready with the live sand and the live rock I took from my previous 29g tank that was setup for a year now. but it doesn't seem like it, anyway it does not currently have a skimmer it does have a dual flow sump with Live rock that came from the LFS tanks as well, the bubbles I see coming from the water returning to the tank, and as well as from the rocks not much from the rocks it seems as if the return is creating the bubbles that are staying on some of the rocks, if I sit and look at the returns you can see the flow is not smooth but tiny microsocopic bubbles as well, he says it need a sponge on the pump? I am using RO water from my Kent system with reef crystals as well. I just moved and cannot find the charger to my camera I will look for it though.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Fist of all, WELCOME TO THE REEF TANK.
You can put PVC glue on all the joints on the return just to seal any small oppening you may have.
If you used the LR and LS from a previous tank you are probably done with the cycle but continue checking parameters. The ideal thing would have been to have the small tank runnig while the new rock and/or sand cycles on the larger tank, then just add everything to the larger tank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i agree with the exception of being told that it was ready and my impatience I know patience is a requirement of reefing, I saw him glue most of the parts when he put the system together, do you think there is an air leak somewhere, or maybe what he said about the sponge will help?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
sand and rock may be cycled algae probly from lighting. When i upgraded to larger tank I had alot of algae but no bad spikes in ammonia and stuff. Was the only sand and rock added from the small tank? Considering you went from 29 to 125 there just isnt enough sand or rock. Now you need more sand and rock and that could lead to another cycle which could lead to potential losses. If you still have the 29 I say put the stuff back and start from scratch with the new tank so that you dont lose what you have. Then once the tank cycles you can move everyone back. Sounds like and awesome set up and cant wait to see picks good luck.

Oh yeak Welcome to TRT. You'll learn alot here.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
OK do you notice the micro bubbles flowing from the returns on the tank?

Second Regarding the cycling of the tank. because you added live rock and live sand does not mean the tank cycled. You will still have a Cycle of ammonia nitrite nitrate plus a phospate cycle. this is normal in new tanks. even if you used some established materials from a smaller mature tank because you have upgraded to a larger system this new system will need time to mature.

did the LFS add any chemicals such as TLC or the instant cycle (nitromax I think) If so this is what he could of been talking about.

I need some clarification on the sump

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay I will use my phone later to take some pictures and post them, yes he did add something to the tank, i think hew said it was buffer, also I did not move the live sand from the old tank, I purchased 8 20lb bags of the araglive which states also on the bag that it is tank and fish ready, but hey advertisements are like politicians sometimes, the rock was around 60 pds from my previous tank and 40lbs that I got snorkling in Puerto Rico and cured at home for 3 weeks. size and diameters of sump I will measure tonight, and I have also read here to that the new lighting which is stronger than my pc lighting was could be affecting forcing this, oh sorry one more thing, initially i added stabilizer to the tank for 3 days I stopped when I saw this happening.hopefully my inhabitants don't suffer as my other tank has no live rock in it to filter right now. and I had a heck of a time catching my eel so that is out.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Use caution bringing things in from the wild. You never no what your bringing into your tank. I also used the agralive sand and didnt notice spiking. Just keep an eye on everyone. Good luck

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ok well I think that you are getting a cycle from the new rock. I have also used "cycled live sand" and found no side effects. What is in the sump and are you going to add a skimmer?

This will help with the curing of the live rock.

how was the PR rock cured ?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Firstly, welcome to TRT!!! :beer:

First word of advice - slow down, please. I realize much of your livestock probably came from your old tank but you're way loaded for having just switched.

The ammonia at 0.2 - what brand of test kit are you using?

Someone mentioned a "phosphate cycle"... never heard of this - although phosphate can be a by-product of die-off in a cycling system going through its initial nitrogen cycle - but phosphate is not harmful to your creatures, it will just feed a bumper crop of algae. If you're worried about it you can put some phosphate sponge in your sump and that will absorb it, but for now I'd skip the additives except for pH buffer if necessary and let the system settle down for a while.

The puffer is not reef-safe. Neither is the eel if you wish to keep ornamental crustaceans, and small fish are at risk too.

The Goniopora will likely be short-lived - this isn't your fault, they just typically do not do well in captivity (call it a "rental item) :( Usually they do ok for 6-9 months then they stop opening completely and eventually start to recede. It's not a creature I recommend (nor do I sell them...).

Otherwise your livestock list seems appropriate, albeit a bit abundant for this stage in the tank's life.

The bubbles coming out of the rock could be organic matter being denitrified (a good thing) that should subside as your tank cycles completely and there's less organics to be processed.

As discussed, it's possible there are leaks in your return lines - the pressure from the pump would prevent water from leaking out, but would allow air to be sucked in to the pipes, causing bubbles. Also check to make sure that the water level in your sump is adequate, so your pump isn't drawing air in its intake and cavitating.

Did the bubbles in the return happen from day one or is this a new thing? If it's new, I'd check the water in the sump first.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bubbles were from day one, the water level in the sump is about 4 inches over the top of the pump, there is only live rock and filters in the sump, I want to get a skimmer but was told by the LFS it could do without for a couple of weeks, actually when I got home today the rock is lightening up, ammonia is at 0.0 and ph is 8.4 SG @1.025 still, I found the plug to my camera and took some shots, I will post them tomorrow from work, the sump size is 30x14x16 with 1200gph pump and rock for the sump, for 600.00 I thought the skimmer should have come with it, but what do I know, I was used to the smaller tank, I do not mind spending the money as long as I get quality. I am using FasTest saltwater aquarium master test kit, and refractometer to measure salt, and Thanks all I am slowing at this point, oh after the addition of the 40 lbs I already paid for tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Welcome aboard!!! w0000000000000000000t!!! :)

Continue to test for ammonia and nitrite. Any tracable measurements of either will probably kill your inhabitants. If you do test positive for either, ask your LFS to keep them for a while. :)

Your levels don't look too bad. I suggest an RO/DI (if you don't have one already), and plenty of water changes until things settle down.

I'm very glad you found us...please ask away! :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Tank looks good. Sorry I cant help you with the bubbles tho not my area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts