The Reef Tank banner
1K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Little_Sardines 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to plan out what fish/inverts and corals I want to keep in the 120g peninsula tank that I'm plotting to get.
I'm pretty sure I want the fuzzy dwarf lion, and I'd like the have a wartskinned angler as well. I understand that this limits me to larger fish for the other tank mates, but let me list out what I'm hoping for and you guys can go ahead and let me know how far fetched I'm getting! =)
By the way - I don't necissarily plan of have all of these! Just the ones that will be best suited to living together/that I will have room for. If anyone has insight on how I could fit the most fish without overstocking I'd be grateful for that too!
If anyone has suggestions for tank mates I'd also be really happy to hear!

UPDATE: anything in red has been removed from the list.

Fish:
  • Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
  • Wartskinned Angler - likely to try and eat lionfish
  • Kole Tang (either 1 with yellow, or no yellow and multiple koles)
  • One Spot Fox Face
  • Copperband Butterfly
  • Lemon Peel Angel - bad reputation in reefs
  • Clownfish (what kind?/if large when put in tank?)
  • Yellow Tang (either 1 with kole, or no kole and multiple yellows)
  • Heraldi Angel (not with flame angel, one or the other)
  • Flame Angel

Inverts:
  • Fancy Yellow Brittle Star
  • Linckia Star
  • Haddons Carpet Anenome
  • Daums Reef Lobster (unlikely I think?)
  • Christmas Tree Worms
  • Maxima Clam
  • Squamosa Clam

Corals:
  • Tubastrea
  • Purple Brush Gorgonian
  • Lemon Tree
  • Lavender Mushroom
  • Toadstool Mushroom
  • Hairy Blue Mushroom
  • Candy Canes
  • Thick Finger Leather
  • Chili Coral
  • Hammer (various colors)
  • Green Star
  • Rainbow Montipora
  • Lemon Laced Clove Polyp
  • Various Zoas

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah I'm curious myself - but the liveaquaria compatibility sheet says they should get along ok. Crossing my fingers and hoping for positive feedback!

I have a Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish with my plat clowns.

Just make sure you get the Clowns first and let them grow to pretty close to full size. Then buy the smallest Dwarf Lionfish you can. Get it on frozen food and make sure its fed.

I haven't had an incident yet.
Good to hear! I would be sad if there wasn't a possibility that I could have clowns. How big are your clowns/were they when you introduced the lion fish?

#3 ·
I have a Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish with my plat clowns.

Just make sure you get the Clowns first and let them grow to pretty close to full size. Then buy the smallest Dwarf Lionfish you can. Get it on frozen food and make sure its fed.

I haven't had an incident yet.

#6 ·
I realize that a number of the fish I've listed are iffy in reefs, though I did check on liveaquaria to see whether they were just "with caution" or not reef safe at all.
I'm curious whether anyone has had personal positive or negative experience with any of these fish in a reef environment as well. Have you kept either of these fish and had problems yourself?

#7 ·
I've had a copper band before. Never picked at anything, just kept to himself. Ate frozen food like crazy, I could've got lucky because they tend not to do so well. I've also had a flame angel, which didn't pick at anything as well. I just kept him well fed. Idk about lemon peels, though. I've actually read they can tend to be one of the worst for reefs. (If I remeber correctly, not 100 % sure.

#10 ·
Good to know! I didn't realize that they had such a negative reputation. I might try a coral beauty or flame angel instead.

What 3dees said^^ maybe you could go with a different type of angel? Although, you may have problems with the lion or angler if they get big enough. I want an angler very badly in my 125 gallon predator tank I'm setting up but I'm not sure if I will be able to. :/
I think I'll let most of the fish get pretty close to full size before I introduce either the lion or the angler in hopes of avoiding trouble between them, then make sure i get the angler and lion small.
I honestly know very little about anglers, and it would do me good to research them more before I plan on one. But they're so cool.:cool:

This post has been deleted
#21 ·
Yeah I can see that. I'm starting to see that about the lionfish also - since I keep finding myself wanting fish like basslets and anthias, haha.
Perhaps I'm just destined to have more than one tank in the future!

BUT - what about this plan for the 120:
4-5 barltlett anthias
4-5 chalk bass
4-5 blue/green chromis
maybe 3 yellow tangs
and a pair of clowns...
and possibly a fairy wrasse or two.
I think that might be too much though?

and then a separate tank for the lionfish and a separate one for the angler some time in the probably distant future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.