The Reef Tank banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
First canister in the line is a sediment filter, a good 1 micron filter should do, second carbon block filter.
If you are using city water this is important as it will remove chlorine.
the last is the DI resin Color changing resin is good as it tells you when you need to replace.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The blue tube and the yellow are connected to the same place on the Reverse Osmosis membrane canister.
The blue would be just RO water output, say for drinking cooking, the yellow runs to the DI canister after that it is ready for the tank.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Oh, yes you will want to put in a back flush valve.
It simply involves putting a Y in the tube before the the Flow restrictor and Ying it back after.
On the other side of the Y you have a manual or automatic valve to bypass the flow restrictor.
This will allow you to back flush the RO membrane and make it last longer.
If you want to use the plain RO water for drinking A water storage tank attached to the blue line would be recommended.
As you want to water stored so you don't have wait on the RO membrane to produce it. It isn't fast.
This will also back flow into the line to the DI filter and allow you to get water out of it faster, that is until the storage tank empties then back to dripping speed.

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Nope. Still Tinsnips. I think that was someone who dropped in here to ask a question. I should likely have updated this thread. I was talking about it in one of the breakfast threads the cool kids made but it didn’t make it here. I have decided to put the reef tank on hold. At 58 I am fortunate to have both my parents but recently their health has declined and I foresee myself not beatable to devote the time required to manage this…particularly as a newbie. I will be helping out at their place a lot and likely moving them in with me in the near future. I will store the stuff I have bought and run a freshwater community tank for a while till time and money allow me to switch to salt.

Thanks to everyone who piped in here! I learned a ton! I’m gonna stick around and keep learning.

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
How is your RO/DI coming?
It worked great Vinnie. I will store it with the rock and lights till I fire this up again. At that time I will replace all the cartridges. Although it would be ideal, I don’t see a need to run it for the community tank.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts