The Reef Tank banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Like Hack and Vinnie, I don't believe in paying for something that is free. Bottled bacteria gets a lot of people into trouble.
The bacteria you need for your cycle are all around us. Take a deep breath and throw your shrimp in the tank.
You can add diversity by adding table spoon of sand from other established systems or a chunk of live rock or two.
I would at least throw in a chunk of good live rock to get coralline going at some point. Yes you can buy coralline scrapings on e-Bay, but you never know what kind of tank they came out of. With good live rock you will also get some bristle worms and maybe some pods too.
Noted. I will add a chunk of live rock along the way.

GLADLY ship you all the Coralline Algae you want.....BUT afraid shipping big live rock over night would be a wee pricey.
Hack
I am certain it would be.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Played with the rocks for a bit to see what I have. Some nice pieces. I can see the remains of life in them but no idea what they might have been.
here is a pic of what I am looking for.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Here’s some of the stuff I noticed. You will notice more.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If mark out an area the same size as tank bottom you can get a better idea of the layout.
Be sure to leave a couple of inches between rock and glass to make cleaning easier.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
That is some nice looking rock you have there!!

The more open you can make the rock scape, the more you will like it, holes for the fish to swim through and it doesn't block as much flow. I agree 100% that 90 lbs is plenty of rock, especially with quality rock. Regarding the bacteria products, I don't hate them. I don't think they do everything they claim, but I also think they can be a little helpful to seed various types right off the bat in a tank with dry rock. Even better than those products I like the live pod products that you can get locally, the ones where you can see the pods swimming around in there. Another option is to get a little living rock, just a pound or two from an LFS or reefer to seed some pods and such.

You don't totally need it,.. but I like the diversity.

I'm curious to see the light you scored!
Whiskey

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'll drag the light in when I get home. To be honest I want to see it too! I believe it is a 48" 6 bulb T5 with reflectors around the bulbs. It is the light those rocks grew on so I am guessing it was adequate from that perspective.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
I'll drag the light in when I get home. To be honest I want to see it too! I believe it is a 48" 6 bulb T5 with reflectors around the bulbs. It is the light those rocks grew on so I am guessing it was adequate from that perspective.
That is a good fixture, with a long history of success. I always recommend new bulbs before you go crazy with corals because they only have about a year of life and most people don't replace them before they sell. Is your tank 4 foot by 24 inches?

Whiskey

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
No, unfortunately it is the long - 60x18x24high lay out. The light will be a bit wider than the tank but will run the length of the reef and corals. My overflow is on the end so usable tank is more like 56. Take another 4" out on both ends for cleaning clearance to the sides and you are right about 48" of reef. I may make my reef a bit shorter than that if needed.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
I expect you will be able to keep anything you want with that light. This is my 75g with various lights, one being a 6 bulb T5 setup. It is 48" long, 18" wide, and 22 inches tall as memory serves:
(For reference, I shoot for PAR between 250 and 350 for SPS, LPS like closer to 100, If I kept with 6 bulb T5 I would have raised it up)
PAR-READINGSLEDT56T5 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_8391 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Here’s what I have.

tank is pretty well lit. That is the uncleaned fresh water left over. Apologies for the tank being a mess. You can also see the wave makers.

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
A little distant between the top of tank and light will give you spread and will be fine. . My tank is 60 with a 4 ft light and about 5 or so inches I’ve tank and really not noticeable. And like you said you can arrange tank or coral placement. t5’s are nice. I just haven’t been able to find a nice setup that won’t break the bank.
I have LED and it work great forStoney Corels in the pass along with my kessils 169 tuna blues

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
If I am aiming for soft corals down the road how does this light meet their requirements?

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
You can pretty much grow any kind of Corals with those lights.....For softies, raise em a bit, lower'ish for LPS, and drop down lower yet for the SPS. That's the type of lights I'm running, and as I switch to SPS I'll just drop em down lower. I'm at about 18" now for my softies.
Hack

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
18”? From the surface of the water or from the corals? Sorry, I appreciate the answers, this is all pretty new.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
SORRY......From the surface of the water. When the time comes I have a PAR meter I can ship you if'n you want it. THEY aren't THAT fussy, but You'll be chaffing at the bit out of 'curiosity'. 🤔 :ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
I had my 6 right on the water, about 2" up, and you can see the PAR readings I was getting. For LPS you want closer to 100 PAR and soft corals seem to take anything you throw at them.

If I were you I would probably run 4 of the 6 tubes and have it about 6" off the water just because I don't like my lights super high.

Oh,.. and I think those strips are not moonlights. At 60W they should pack some serious punch,.. more than a single T5 tube if I had to guess.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
I had my 6 right on the water, about 2" up, and you can see the PAR readings I was getting. For LPS you want closer to 100 PAR and soft corals seem to take anything you throw at them.

If I were you I would probably run 4 of the 6 tubes and have it about 6" off the water just because I don't like my lights super high.

Oh,.. and I think those strips are not moonlights. At 60W they should pack some serious punch,.. more than a single T5 tube if I had to guess.

Whiskey
Yep,.. I'm that guy. I quoted myself.

The other thing to keep in mind looking at my PAR readings is how wildly inconsistent they are. Not good. Those lights were too low and it caused bright and dim patches, over all a bad deal, I've learned since then.

Whiskey

61 - 80 of 112 Posts