The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the planning stages for a new 120g oceanic tank. I have a recessed corner built that is 51 inces wide, so the tank should slide in perfectly.

I'm just curious if anyone thinks I need to add any support below the tank. I know everyone always asks this fur the 180 and up, but I'm just curious.

The tank is in a corner along an exterior wall on the first floor. It does run parallel to the joists, but this is in the corner of the house along the exterior walls. There is plywood subfloor and then hardwood over that.

I don't think a 120 warrants any special concern, but just had the question running through my head...

Pat:p

·
Registered
559 Posts
From my dealings with lots of fw tanks and now my new tank a 120 would need no support in a modern house. Now if your house was built over a 100 years ago I would then consider it. (this is my main problem) I have a tank twice your size and must rebuild the floor where it will be standing plus add a couple floor jacks. With a tank your size I would guess weight to be around 825 to 900 pounds depending on your setup. Going from most my experience most floors will support 125lbs to 150lbs per square foot.(this is a conserveative guess so please don't rely on it but I think I am pretty close)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I'm in the planning stages for a new 120g oceanic tank. I have a recessed corner built that is 51 inces wide, so the tank should slide in perfectly.

I'm just curious if anyone thinks I need to add any support below the tank. I know everyone always asks this fur the 180 and up, but I'm just curious.

The tank is in a corner along an exterior wall on the first floor. It does run parallel to the joists, but this is in the corner of the house along the exterior walls. There is plywood subfloor and then hardwood over that.

I don't think a 120 warrants any special concern, but just had the question running through my head...

Pat:p

·
Registered
852 Posts
You could chance it, but if you can reach, a couple of braces between the joists couldn't hurt. Too bad the joists are parallel or I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Personally I would shore up the floor, especially since your joists run paralell with the tank. If your house if fairly new, and your spans are short, you may be ok, but I wouldnt risk it. also the tank will probably weigh in at well over 900 lbs. say you have 90 gal of water in the tank, that is 90*~8.6*1.025 = 793 lbs. + 200lbs tank + >120 lbs rock + >150 lbs sand + stand + equipment = a whole lot of weight to be running paralell to your floor joist. If the tank will be sitting over the first joist, I would double up on that, if not than it would get a little tougher. I am currently shoring up my floor for my 150 and it will sit between 3 concrete walls and the joists run perpendicular! I would rather spend a few hours doubling up on my 2x6s than have 2000+ lbs of my most prized posessions go crashing through the floor. JMO

Mike

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

I just noticed that.....I'm very sorry, I have no idea why the dupes are there......I must have done something.....again, I apologize.

Pat

·
lazy reefer
919 Posts
depending on how the stand was made. should be the influencking factor on the distribution of the weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts