Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dual overflow aga tank. asm g3 skimmer. 600 or 900gph

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Depends on the type of skimmer.
If you run a Beckett, you want to match your overflow volume to the skimmer pump. If you recirc, you want less.

I don't use my return for in the tank flow purposes - it's just an added benefit.

·
Registered
748 Posts
But you're paying to pump that extra benefit X feet up back into the tank plus creating additional heat when the same benefit in flow could be achieved at much lower energy cost and temp.

Graham said:
Depends on the type of skimmer.
If you run a Beckett, you want to match your overflow volume to the skimmer pump. If you recirc, you want less.

I don't use my return for in the tank flow purposes - it's just an added benefit.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
My mag 18 is not any flow benifit whatsoever, in fact I have been trying to downsize to a 12 or even the 9.5 to lower the elec bill :lol:

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
To me, since you don't rely on the return for your circulation in the tank. Either one would be fine. After head really anything that will allow enough flow through the sump to the heater to be able to keep the tank warm enough in the winter and can match your skimmer out flow ( give or take a little ) is sufficient.

Since I run my return on a UPS, I go with the minimum pump so the amount of runtime increases in power failure due to the less wattage.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Tutmos said:
the same benefit in flow could be achieved at much lower energy cost and temp.
How's this?

Maybe you misunderstood me. The added flow in the tank is a residual benefit of matching my return GPH to my skimmer's GPH. My skimmer processes about 1200 GPH, so I want my overflow to dump the same. The fact that my return pump creates that 1200 GPH of flow in the tank is secondary to the primary importance of giving the skimmer that potential 1200 GPH from the tank. My skimmer isn't run on recirculation principles, it runs on processing as much water as it can - first pass.

Granted, the skimmer's not getting every molecule of that 1200 GPH of water that's sent to the sump, but it's getting alot more of that "new" water than it would if my return only dumped 600 GPH. It's that crazy Beckett mindset...and I'll take the extra degree of temp and $1.00/month it takes to run it. It the big picture, it matters little. My heater still has to kick on. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts