The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
That size tank a smaller tang would be nice. Anemones dominated tank would be cool. BTA’s are easy and multiply if conditions are right. I started with one and now have 3. If you want corals it can be an issue if they start moving around.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That is what I thought Vinnie. I will post a pic of mine when I get home. Not having any experience with this I only had ideas about what I thought might be cool. I got a Skunk cleaner shrimp just for clean up and he is my favourite thing in the tank. It is like having a puppy around. As soon as I am in there cleaning I have to stop when he comes out to give me a manicure. Weird little dude. Full of antics. I think shrimp will also be something I'd like to keep. My crabs are kinda amusing too as they are so busy doing crab stuff. I seem to be fascinated with the inverts.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Once the new tank is set up I was going to start adding coral but after watching the anemone I am really fascinated with it. Would an anemone dominated tank pose problems? I thought it might be cool to have the look of the tank change as they move around. Just concerned they may pick on each other. There are certainly no shortage of interesting ones to keep. Lots of Color and lots of movement. How would it affect my bio load compared to corals?
Throwing out another possibility for Ya Pal in leu of the anemone tank.......Going the LPS route, the Torches, Frogspawns, and Hammers. All have arms that 'wave' in the current,m and don't budge when you put them somewhere.......and their 'sting' won't effect Fish, just some neighboring corals. :unsure: And not nearly as fussy as anemones.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am not sure but I think my one coral is an LPS. Elegance coral? It has a stone base and can fully retract into it but when fully open it has about a 4” green/yellow disk fringed with 1 1/2” redfish brown tentacles. Fluorescent yellow under blue lights. The other is a 2” leather. I was about to post a pic but the lights are off and it is half retracted right now.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The filter socks in the first section may get some back up floss under them. I really don’t know yet. There isn’t a tray to drop the socks in. I can make that fairly easily though. I have some acrylic on hand.

I am figuring on macro algae in the refugium to scrub phosphates and nitrates as well as out compete micro algae in the tank. I do have a nice little light I can use for it. A small pump will tumble it for better light and flow. The protein skimmer will be in this section as well just because of the space it will take.

I plan on running dual heaters in the pump chamber for redundancy and will drill the tank for two returns so I can have redundant pumps as well. Any phosphate reactors or the like will probably be put there as well.

The skimmer box will be inside the tank and run the full width of the back wall. I will use a bean animal set up. I will have space for media bags there if needed but would ideally like them in the pump chamber after the filtration. I am thinking charcoal mostly at the moment but could be anything as needed.

I have two drawer guides and have been contemplating putting all the controls for lights, pumps, wave makers, etc on a board and have it pull out for easy access to the controls. I hate working under the dash of a car and don’t want my sump area to have the same vibe. This would afford me an opportunity to hide a lot of cords as well.

I need to install unions on all the pipe so the tank and stand can be moved separately with out cutting anything. I am thinking they will be just at the level of the opening of the stand so access can be gained from inside or behind.

Any comments are welcome and criticism is greatly appreciated. Posting this up so I can be told I am wrong. I would much rather that than find out I was wrong after it is all done!

·
Super Moderator
28,329 Posts
Sounds like you have it covered.
Make sure the primary and secondary drains are just below the water. If you go two deep they will have trouble clearing the air and will make some noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sounds like you have it covered.
Make sure the primary and secondary drains are just below the water. If you go two deep they will have trouble clearing the air and will make some noise.
The drain on my 125 sump was below the surface and I found a small 1/8 hole a half inch above the surface vented any excess air or pressure without much added noise. These will likely be shallow though as there will be limited depth above the filter socks

I would run the emergency drain below the water surface too. You don’t salt water splash even if it will only happen in an emergency.
Try beananimal.com
Thanks Jerry I will check that out. I think I will probably leave it above the water an inch or so so I get some noise. I can always just slip a coupling on it if I feel I want it under the surface. I am toying with the idea of sanding the ridge out of some couplings so they slip slide smoothly over the pipe. I would drill and tap a plastic thumb screw on one end so I can adjust my pipe length quickly and easily.

On one hand, the more adjustments I build into it the more fiddly it becomes but on the other I can fine tune it much better.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here ya go Vinnie. A short vid of my only two corals. Anyone can ID them great! Let’s also think about the flow they are getting. They seem happy but I am new to all this. Of anything I was thinking about tucking the big one back closer to the rock to give it less flow.

·
Super Moderator
28,329 Posts
It also looks like you may have some Byopsis in there. That real dense stuff . It’s hard to tell. If you go and grab it will it pull off or is it really tough to remove. If you do have it, ReefRX works great.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah. The coral is great. I paid $60.00 for it and it is about 4” across.

The brownish goo does pull off pretty easy. I have been pulling what I can and using a toothbrush to dislodge the stuff in books and crannies. A course brush dragged through the sand picks up the algae with out a lot of sand. All the rock will get a good scrub when moves to the new tank.

·
Administrator
49,206 Posts
E quad or bubble tip anemones are pretty mellow with other fish, normaly host the Larger clowns like 3 stipe, tomatoe etc, but in the years that I have been in the hobby, anemones and tank raised fish have reset the bar,(nmainly cause they dont read he book) In a 120 tou could probably get away with 2-3 varied colors of bubble tips. Especially tank raised they can often split so there is another bit of trading stock later on.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
OK. I got the tank drilled for two more drains. I didn't get the second return drilled as I didn't have the right size drill bit. I may just run the one unless I come across the right size. I do have the bulkhead for it.

It is on to resealing now. I will cut out the old silicone. It looks good on 95% of the tank and it didn't leak during my leak test but I am going to start fresh while I have the chance.

Any tips or tricks for the resealing would be appreciated. I've done it before but any chance to learn should never be wasted.

I got a question. I have a lot of experience in plumbing but not in plumbing a reef tank. Everyone is using PVC fittings and pipe. I am pretty sure my bulkheads are ABS. Are you guys just using ABS to PVC glue and then using PVc cleaner & solvent on the piping? How come people don't use ABS? They are also talking about using shedule 80 pipe? That is really over kill for a system that is gonna operate below 20psi. What am I missing here?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts