The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day working on my new/used 110 gal. I'll keep posting pics as I go. Today I mainly worked on reinforcing the workbench that is being converted into a stand. I added eight 45 degree supports on the legs. This will keep the side to side motion to a minimum.:fish:
Total cost so far is $150 for the tank and $25 for lumber. The lumber was really $50 but I am splitting the cost of that with the fifty gal, so the total cost so far is $175 and climbing.......;) 110resize.jpg

11002resize.jpg

11003resize.jpg

11004resize.jpg

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if your open for suggestions, take some 2x4's and nail them upright inside the 45 pieces so the span the whole length under the tank, 2x6 on its side like that will bow over time and the uprights will really help with the weight, that tank is gonna weigh almost half a ton, so get 8 of your fattest friends to sit on it together just to check it out, might still be a little heavy for that stand.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I still have some more work to do on it yet. My father is an engineer and he's coming by tomorrow to take a look and let me know if I should add more legs/etc. I'll definately show him your post.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank now has some water and a power head in it mixing the salt. Cost of the salt was $27.56 which brings the current total to $202.56. Check out the photo of my new rock covered with button polyps and feather dusters. It is sunning itself under my new T5's in the fifty gal. tank with water 002resize.jpg

new polyps with crabs resize.jpg

tank with water 005resize.jpg

tank with water 004resize.jpg

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Might I just add
WOO HOO another T5 supporter. I love my T5s, they just plain rock.

oh and the tank looks like it is coming along nicely

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tank in june 001resize.jpg

tank in june 002resize.jpg

tank in june 005resize.jpg The substrate, CC, is in and fogged up the tank pretty good. I've been running an old Penguin filter and a power head to keep the water moving. It's starting to clear up and I've added some live rock to begin the cycle. $38.16 for the substrate and $31.00 in live rock brings the current total to $271.72:fish:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spraybar 001resize.jpg

spraybar 003resize.jpg Added a spraybar to the tank powered by two MJ 1200s. There are 85 1/16in holes drilled in the horizontal part of the bar. No glue was used.
Powerheads $47.00
PVC 3.56
Live/lace rock 6.00 for a current total of $328.28

1 - 7 of 7 Posts