The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm about to start a project to set up a 110 gallon reef tank (currently running a 55-gallon fish only), I'm still in the design phase, and I can use a few pointers as I try to get my setup right.

First, the tank I'm planning on using is drilled on the top back, with 3 holes with 1-inch bulkheads. I'm thinking of using two for overflow and one for return, however, I'm a little concerned about the amount two overflows can handle, as my goal is to turn the water over 8 to 10 times per hour. So my first question is, does anyone have experience with flow rates? I calculate that the two 1-inch overflows can handle about 600 gph, so maybe I need to enlarge the holes to 1 1/2 inch to cope with the flow rate.

Any word of advice?

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Is there room to drill another hole in the area where your overflow is? You could use a ball valve to limit the flow, if it was too much. Is there an overflow box on the tank....inside or out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there's place for a fourth hole, I was thinking about that versus enlarging the holes to 1.5 inches. I actually have the drill bits to do it, so that's one option.

Re the overflow box question: no, there's no overflow box, I'd like to avoid using it (don't really like it with my FO). Instead, I'm thinking of using elbows to drain water from the surface, then connect the plumbing in the back, have a valve(as you recommended, to control or cut off the flow) and then route it down to my sump.

Of course, I'm open to ideas as I've never really done anything like this complex with the 55 gallon one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question in the meantime, regarding pump sizing. I have a Mag 12 for the return pump, and been thinking of using another Mag 12 for the sump. However, the skimmers I've been looking at are rated at much less turnover rates, even after compensating for head loss. So, how does one resolve this issue? Or is it normal for dirty and clean water getting mixed in the sump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I looked at the links and the second one seems to be very close to my idea, it was good to see it in work. I think I'll go for 1-inch bulkheads, and have a third one drilled.

Also figured out my sump/skimmer setup, so that box is ticked off too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts