The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Anti-Acan Activist
2,580 Posts
Burchoid said:
Aren't 10K with actinics very simular to a straight up 20K light
No... basicaly you would end up with 15k-ish if that. There is no perfect science really to determine what light temp you would end up with. Your best bet is do MH with a 10k bulb for growth and a 20k + actinics VHOS or PCs for color. JMO...

· Anti-Acan Activist
2,580 Posts
That is probably the best link on bulb/ballast comparisons that you may be able to find. The key for growth is the par rating. The higher the PAR rating the better the growth usually is. Another factor is bulb life. Bulb life is judged by how long it maintains PAR life. Though Radiums are a heavy favorite in the 20k world due to the higher PAR rating they may not maintain that higher PAR rating as long as some other bulbs might such as a 20k XM. The cost of an XM is also far less than that of a Radium as well. However XM 20k bulbs are actually really blue by most people standards and do have a lower PAR rating as I stated before. Otherwise I think they would be the undisputed champion of MH bulbs. XM 10k bulbs however have a very high PAR rating... especially for the cost. Again it is suggested that XMs in general seem to have a really good bulb "life" so they are also very popular. An ushio 10k is a heavy favorite in the 10k world but again they are a bit more expensive than a XM. Although if you look at specs Ushio 10k bulbs are not as well seeded as the XM 10k... but people seem to have a great deal of success with the Ushio 10k bulbs. That said the specs are not always the answer... there is something to be said about actual results... In a perfect world for me it is 10k XM & 20k XM mixture based on cost vs specs vs bulb life vs results...

Mind you all of this is mearly my opinion based on the articles and threads that I have read as well as experience with XM & radium bulbs only. On a side note that is why I am very disappointed in the XM 15k bulb specs. The PAR rating is exceptionally low IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.