The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my 9 month old 10g nano and 4g refugium.

• Ph...................8.0 low 8.3 high
• Nitrite.............undetectable/negligible
• Ammonia.........undetectable/negligible
• Nitrate............undetectable/negligible
• Salinity............1.025
• Calcium...........420-450ppm (Salifert)
• Temperature...79.7 low 82.4 high
• Alkalinity.........9 DKH

For lighting, I'm using PC's, 1x55W 10000k, 1x55W 17000k (Actinic), 1x55W 50/50 and a supplemental standard 15W actinic to simulate dawn and dusk. A 13W PC illuminates the fuge on a reverse 12hr photoperiod.

To maintain pH and Alk, I use:
- Seachem Reef Carbonate (liquid form of Reef Builder), one capful 3x/wk in top-up water
- Seachem Reef Complete (liquid form of Reef Advantage Calcium), one capful 2x/wk in top-up water
- 10% water change every two weeks using Tropic Marin salt
- Water top-up 0.25 gal daily.

I feed/dose Marine Snow (microscopic plankton diet), half a capful once or twice a day. It's the next best thing to live phyto and zooplankton.

Other daily supplements (high-end of recommended dosage):
- Sea Elements (Julian Sprung's Reef Formula)
- Coralife Strontium Plus, Calcium and Iodine
- Kent Marine Coral Accel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pics... pink tip a., yellow cup, lettuce, pipe organ, a. humilis (pastel yellow alveopora in background), fox, clams, blue shroom, torch, false percula, clams, tomato clown (m. danae in background), clams (top view), cleaner shrimp, nano... :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lookin' good :D :beer:

How come your lps aren't stinging the other corals when the tank is so small? Can you post some other pics of the fuge? looks like a hang-on filter?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Delighted to be here :) Thanks for the warm welcome... I feel at home already. Also, thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement.

CAT, my torch coral has almost tripled in size over the past 5 months and I'll have to frag it pretty soon. At the moment, it's at least 2 inches away from the nearest coral with tentacles fully extended. I super-glued it to the LR - to prevent it from accidently falling on my maxima.

I used a 4g container from IKEA for the fuge. It sits about 3" taller than the tank, hence the overflow via the two 1" holes cut out with a sturdy pen knife and rounded off with a round file for a nice fit for the overflow piping. A 100gal/hr pwrhead at the top left corner of the tank feeds the fuge. Tubing links the pwrhead to a small 'media/filter' box that sits at the top left front corner of the fuge. Water then overflows from the media box into the main fuge area - in the event of power outage, water siphoning into the tank is minimised.

I divided the container/fuge into two parts (1:2 ratio) with an acrylic sheet with numerous holes pre-drilled half way down. The holes allow for a gentle flow into the main refugium area. The small 'media' box and chiller fit nicely in the first section. I also built braces to support the ice-probe chiller and fuge lighting. I used aquarium silicone sealant to secure/seal everything.

To the right of the fuge is a Millenium 2000 that houses a Piccolo skimmer and a small powerfilter w/ Rowaphos.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
And I thought my 10 gallon was packed full. heh heh ;) Very nice, and I love the wide range of coloring. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.