The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a great little setup (thanks again, Matt). Now will some one please list for me the corals I can NOT grow under these lights? Figured the list would be shorter than listing all the things I could.
TIA,

·
Registered
45 Posts
To list all the corals you could grow would also be quite a voluminous list. I guess, to begin, you should tell us what you like and we could go from there. I have an 11 gal. and i use a 96watt quad (i have up'd the wattage to 132 watts by adding an add'l hood). Before i increased my wattage i had ricordia, tubastrea, feather duster, pink lemnalia, a derasa clam, a maxima, mushrooms, open brain, green digitata, pulsing xenia (growing like wild fire), and frog spawn... thats all i can remember right now..... All of the above mentioned specimen have done great in my tank and everything but the tusatrea has grown and looks better than it did when i bought it. Good luck. JB

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That power quad on a 10 gal should allow you to keep all but the most ligth demanding corals. Of course this might also depend on how you build the reef. Make one end tall so you can get certain corals right up under the lights.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sooooo, what you are saying is.....

I can grow it all!!!!! Yahooooooo!!!!!!

What would be the most light demanding....acroporas?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Some acro's will work.

Both you and Rick have one of these lights on a 10 gal so between the two of you we should soon be able to have a nice list corals that will work and hopefully a small list of those that didn't.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RickO...That would be great! I would love to try one!!!! Hope to see you at the Oct. meeting. THANKS!!!

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I also have started a 10 gallon with a CSL 96w power quad (smartlamp.) I had some LR that went to crap and bought it from a fellow reefer for a $1 a lbs (25lbs or more.) It was in bad shape. I spent 2 weeks curing it and scrubbing it with no lights and that tool all the coraline off it except on two small rocks. Now after only a few days (3 or 4) the coraline is coming back very rapidly. With that said I am happy with the way those lights perform. I can't wait to start getting some corals in there!!! When I do I will start posting pics etc... Hopefully that will help get a great running list of what a 10 or 11 gal with 96 watts can do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, so good:

yellow turbinaria

pink pocilapora

purple tipped acro (thanks to Ray)

These are all frag size but all seem to be doing nicely..'specially the Acro. Fingers crossed I havent lossed anything yet!

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Kewl Nicole. I think I am gonna have to try one of those 96 watters. Do you think I can get away with just a HOB filters.

Ray

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Ray,
So far, the HOB filter seems to be working fine. Regulating the temp is an issue. 96w can heat a small tank pretty fast so I have to run a fan. But other than that, everything seems to be great! Wish you and Lisa could make the nano meeting Sat. :(

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
We may still, but It looks more and more like I have to head out of town.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts