The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TRT,

I am new to reefing, i currently have a 35 gal tank from Current. But i have that itch and definitely want to go bigger. So my new goal is 100 gallons.

Ive had my tank for 2 years already and have lost some beautiful creatures along the way... with that being said i want to make sure that i do everything right and that i get the correct equipment to support my reef.

My question is:

What are the must have things to have to be able to sustain my future reef? how big of a sump?, how many watts of light/what kind of lighting? do i need/or should i get a power head? what type of pump and protein skimmer? etc etc etc

Any help would be great and much appreciated!

Thank Youuuuuuuu :agree:

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!! A lot of what you get for your reef tank will depend on what you intend to stock in it. I personally think LED lights are best, but pricey. MH lights work very well as do T5HO. I would consider a sump of at least 30 gallon but the bigger the better. I would put powerheads in all saltwater tanks just to create flow and keep crud stirred up so it can get removed by a good skimmer or filter sock. I have 4 powerheads in mine along with the return that blows thru the water.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Ill try to answer all of your questions:

- Must haves- Skimmer, lights (different types depending on your goal for the tank, sump (makes life A LOT easier, and hides equipment), powerheads or wavemaker, auto-top-off (not necessary but unless you want to replenish evaporated water daily I would get one) and I think thats about it.

I would get the biggest sump you can fit in the stand. If it were me I would shoot for a 55g.

Lighting depends on your budget and the dimensions of the tank.

I would get either 3 or 4 regular powerheads (Hydor Koralia's are popular) and put them on a wavemaker, or buy some Ecotech MP10's or MP40's. They are expensive but worth it IMO

I am a fan of Reef Octopus skimmers, I would get the NWB-200 fro that size system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,

Thanks for all the great advice, i will deff start my research on the different brands to choose the right equipment.

One more question... Would you guys recommend building your own sump? Is it a good idea, ive watched some youtube vids and they look pretty simple to construct?

Whats your feeling on that?

-Steven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts