The Reef Tank banner

10 ppm TDS OK?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jnicho 
#1 ·
Would 10 ppm TDS be acceptable to start a reef tank...
I had a marine (fish only) for many years before I moved to my current location and used water from the tap if you can believe it... and yes there were times I had many problems with algae etc.....but it was fish only, and nothing fancy, but now I would like to up the anty a little with proper lighting and chemistry to house at least some soft corals, shrooms, zooanthids, various other inverts and get some calcareous algae going............... and so, I want to start with the proper water, the distilled water I have access to has at the most, 10ppm TDS..

Mike

#2 ·
Welcome to TRT Mike!

Strange, properly distilled water shouldn't have any TDS at all as minerals don't evaporate and are not collected in the distilation process. Could be from a really old distiller perhaps. I don't know. It's possible your reading may be off too and the distilled water your checking is just fine. That said, I don't think 10ppm is horrible. A bit high though.

#3 ·
I agree, distilled should read 000ppm...that said I used just an RO filter (no DI) for quite a while...the TDS was alway 005-007ppm...I can't say I see much difference between then and now with the added DI and 000ppm readings, but I suppose the lower the better...I think 010ppm would be fine...it's almost certainly a significant drop from what most tap water has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.