The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would 10 ppm TDS be acceptable to start a reef tank...
I had a marine (fish only) for many years before I moved to my current location and used water from the tap if you can believe it... and yes there were times I had many problems with algae etc.....but it was fish only, and nothing fancy, but now I would like to up the anty a little with proper lighting and chemistry to house at least some soft corals, shrooms, zooanthids, various other inverts and get some calcareous algae going............... and so, I want to start with the proper water, the distilled water I have access to has at the most, 10ppm TDS..

Mike

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Welcome to TRT Mike!

Strange, properly distilled water shouldn't have any TDS at all as minerals don't evaporate and are not collected in the distilation process. Could be from a really old distiller perhaps. I don't know. It's possible your reading may be off too and the distilled water your checking is just fine. That said, I don't think 10ppm is horrible. A bit high though.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I agree, distilled should read 000ppm...that said I used just an RO filter (no DI) for quite a while...the TDS was alway 005-007ppm...I can't say I see much difference between then and now with the added DI and 000ppm readings, but I suppose the lower the better...I think 010ppm would be fine...it's almost certainly a significant drop from what most tap water has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts