The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so right now I have a 10 gallon cycling with live rock and sand and I am going to use it for a few pieces of SPS and maybe one or two clams.

For lighting, I am planning on using two Aquaticlife 20" T5HO Fixtures (2x18w) for a total of 72w of T5 HO lighting. The tank is about 1 ft deep and 20" long for reference.

For flow, I'm thinking of using one Koralia Nano 425 and one Nano 240, both on opposite sides to create more turbulent flow. Thats a 66.5x turnover rate which I think will suffice for SPS.

What I'm wondering is if I have no fish or inverts (besides maybe a few hermits and snails) will I need a protein skimmer? Also I will hopefully do a 25% w/c weekly.

What do ya'll think?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Two could work fine. I am less worried about that than with the volume. I have done that size of a frag system and I always move to to 20g for SPS. There is just a bit more instability with 10g. It can be done but that 20g volume tends to make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i would say you dont need a skimmer on a tank that small water changes will do 10x better than a skimmer on a tank that size

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
yes, WC over a skimmer and keep the tank fishless

1 - 7 of 7 Posts