The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started the construction of a 10 gallon AIO that I would like to share. I will be going over the construction of the overflow/AIO sump and then keep a log of the tank on here for those who are interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I built the Overflow and filter assembly out of 3/16 sheet of black Starboard that i purchased from McMaster Carr. I cut the pieces with a vertical band saw and then finished then in a Bridgeport Clone vertical knee mill.

I ran into a problem when I was researching gluing starboard and found that it needs a special glue in order to bond it to itself. After searching all over town i found a hardware store that had a Locktite Plastic Bonding kit. It is a 2 part glue that uses a primer followed by the glue. It worked great, the structure of the overflow is very rigid, even before it is put into the tank.

I used a loctite aquarium grade silicon to attach and seal the overflow box into the tank. I have read that the HDPE (Starboard) will not stick to silicone. I read this after i had installed it but while it was still drying. I decided to do an experiment to see how well it would adhere. I will be covering that in a different post but i found that the silicone bonded to the HDPE well enough to seal internal baffles. After filling up the tank each chamber held water sealed in.

The water flows through the grate in the center and will go through mesh filter media. It then goes into the first chamber, it will be for the heater, then into a second chamber that will be for a refugium or a skimmer, and then to the return pump chamber.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts