The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty... I've been browsing this site for about a week and haven't noticed too much activity here in the nano reef forum... but I need some advice on my new 10 gallon so here goes:

This is my first saltwater tank :D I was hoping to do everything by the book... but the more I read the more I see that "by the book" only applies to whatever book you happen to be holding at the time... so I'd like to hear some recommendations from you folks for what to put in my 10 gallon. I currently have my tank full of water and sand (not LS) and waiting for my next move.

Tank is: 10gal, 76 degrees F, 36 salinity. I have a test kit for ph and all that good stuff, but I don't know when I should test for things. Now or when I add live rock? The tank has been sitting for one week now with the biowheel running. Other than that I have no skimmer.

1. Do I add a skimmer or powerhead to a tank this size? :confused:

2. I would like fish and corals. Hope to have an anemone and I guess a clown if that would help the anemone. I believe I can only have one or two small fish in a tank this size, and corals are my main attraction anyways. What sort of each are recommended?

3. Can I add LR now or do I wait longer for something? Is one kind of LR better than another? I'm currently looking at 22lbs of Fiji that I would arrange probably 15 - 20 lbs of in the tank. Good plan?

It's my understanding that I can add LR now, then wait for algae growth (weeks later), then buy cleaners to balance the tank, then add corals and fish (weeks or months later). I'm reading a lot of stuff in books and online and hope I'm making sense of it right. I'm realizing I should probably start with a larger tank, but it's really all the room I've got for now. All help appreciated!

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
sounds a little high on salinity to me should be 24 and no skimmer needed

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bamann345: I'd love to meet with everyone. This first meeting won't work for me, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for info on future nano sig meetings. I can't believe there's such an active group of hobbyists so close to me!

Casey: My main text is John H. Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" so I was trying to match his specs. He said that natural salinity in most coral reefs in 35, so 34 - 36 would work for invertebrates (while fishes can tolerate lower salinities). My current temp is 25.2C, hydrometer reading is 1.026. The book shows a sg adjustment of .0024 for those readings. This gives me 1.0284 for my density which relates to a salinity reading of 38 :eek:. Am I WAY to high or just a little? Should I exchange my tank water for dechlorinated water until I get all the way down to 24?

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Hi Quacker. Welcome to TRT. Where in ATL are you?

I don't want to speak for Casey but he may have meant S.G. when he said 24. I keep mine around 1.024 SG and that gives me a little room for error on either the high or low side.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rick! I'm in Lawrenceville. Yeah, that makes since that it would be S.G. I'll try to exchange some water and bring the number down a bit. Other than that do you think I'm okay to add LR? Is there a good place in Atlanta to get it? The only stores I know of are The Aviarium in Duluth and PetCo. Aviarium is $5.99/lb, I just wasn't sure if I should look for specific types of LR or just get what they have in stock.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I would go ahead and add the rock now. You probably will get somewhat of a cycle when you add the rock depending on how much decaying matter there is in the LR. If not then you could put a small cocktail shrimp from the grocery store in there to get you started.

I'm not familiar with the stores on your side of town but $5.99 is about the going rate for LR in small quantities. I would look for lighter more pourous rock and be sure to leave enough room for fish and corals.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I personally think you should ditch the biowheel and get a powerhead....I use MJ 1200s in my 10g tanks, but that produces a lot of flow, too much, in my opinion, perhaps a MJ600 would work better

I agree, no skimmer needed

what are you using for sand?

and 20# of LR is the perfect amount

and I'd asdd the rock right away, no use waiting

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
latazyo: I have about 1.5" of "Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink Sand Premium Marine Substrate" for sand. I wanted a powerhead to add some flow inside the tank... so you think I can use that and totally get rid of the biowheel? I'll pick up an MJ600 when I get the rock this afternoon. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts