The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum so wanted to say hello and seek some advice.

I'm in the research stage of setting up a reef in my 46 gallon bowfront. I've previously kept freshwater for several years and decided it's time to make the move to salt.

I have a 10 gal that I'd like to use for a sump. Can you guys tell me if this is adequate and if so, what would my ideal setup be inside?

Many thanks for your time and help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
10 might end up being a little small for a 46, but if should work
Mainly depends on what you are trying to do
Do you just want to use the sump to hide the skimmer, heater Ect. ?
Or did you want to put a fuge in along with it?
I just completed a 10 gallon DIY fuge that was pretty easy and am planning to install on my 20 gallon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to get as much in there as possible. What is a typical set up from in to out?

Mech/chem filtration > skimmer > bubbletrap > fuge > heater/return? Do you find a fuge to be necessary?

Apologies if these are basic dumb questions. Just want to make sure I do things 100% right the first go-around. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well to be honest, you wont fit the fuge into a 10 gallon, would definitely need at least a 20 to put a fuge as well
I am currently in the process of changing my 72 reef tank filtration from a a wet dry/sump into a fuge
Fuge's are great at nitrate nitrite and ammonia reduction
It is not a must have, just something nice

For you i would say use the 10 gallon to hide all of your equipment, and just do lots of flow in the tank with a large amount of LR, and everything should be great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts