The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...Im New to the nano world...ive had larger tanks which are a lot easier to take care of...this nano is giving me hell...i made a bad mistake off the line...i only cycled it for a bout a week and a half befor i thru live rock and a few damsils in the tank...well with my larger tanks ( 55 & 40 gal ) that was fine...no prob at all...but this one...the rock is doing fine the coraline algea is taking off...i have calerapa growing on some of the rock...wch is fine and what i want...the fish are of course dead they got ick about a wek after i put them in the tank due to stress and whatnot which is fine they were cheapo no money lost...i treated the ick with instant ocean life guard ... a 6 day treatment for diseases and viruses in saltwater tanks...since i dont have any fish iidk if its gone or not but i also heard cycle it for about a month so the virus dies off and then try again with the fish...i have a red slime algea starting to take notice in this tank...so its pretty muchone thing after another..the tank is about 2 months old now...i have a few crabs in it and they seem to be moving around...i am debating on what to get next as cleaners....in my lager tanks i had a lawnmower blennys blue-leg crabs cleaner shrimp and turbos...they took care of most of the tank wonderfully....i do my 5 day water changes at 25% vaccume the live sand and this algea wont go away...what can i do ? i have a penguine 100 bio-wheel that filters 100 gph and a hydor koralia power head that circluates 240ghp im retty sure i have plenty of water flow , i have coralife mini compacts 2x45 or 90 idk only about 4 months old 2 10000 k daylight and the usuall actinic mixture bulbs .... i have all the kent marine chemicals calcium iodine iron tech-m essential elements i use instant ocean reef crystals salt mix...i dont have a test kit for nitrates and nitrites or phosphates which im sure i will need for such a small tank but i have never had it in the past and it havs been just fine.,. if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to lend a hand it will be greatly appreciated ... [email protected] or post on here thanks!!!

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
Woh dude,.. You are moving way fast with this tank. Has it cycled yet? do you still get readings of Ammonia or Nitrite?

Cyano is pefectally normal in the early stages of a tank, water changes, proper feeding and time will take care of that.

The stuff you used to treat Ich,.. Does it have any Copper in it? If so then don't ever add any inverts (including coral) to this tank because the copper will have absorbed into the Live rock and sand making this tank toxic to inverts.

When you are ready for fish add one,. a tank this small can't handle large increases in BioLoad,.. and a small skimmerless tank is not great for allot of fish.

Welcome to TRT!
Whiskey

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wiskey...yea i know i did alot quick wit this tank and what not but like i said i have had larger tanks and done it all the same way...never had any problem...but this would be my first atempt at a nano...it did cycle for a month befor i did anything to it or added anything to the tank ... the sand was in there immediatly and i bought live rock about 3 weeks into cyling...i use RO water never tap water and no idea about nitrites or nitrates i dont have a test kit i have never needed one in the ast i have alwas done things by eye...as for the lifegurad i dont know if it had any copper in it im assuming not it said it was reef safe...and is made by instant ocean so im assuming it does not contain anything that would harm a reef or saltwater tank i am going to the store tomorrow tograb some snails and crabs and a shrimp to keep the thing clean and see if that takes care of my slime...i have a done about 3 water changes and vaccumed the stuffup everytime and it has not gone away about a day or 2 later it is right back sometimes depending ont he ammount of time i leave the ligts on it will start regrowing the same day ... i really would hope that thhere was no copper in the ick treatment ... that would tend be a damper on doing things....and if it did soak into the live rock wouldnt it kill the coraline algea and start killing off the rock ... there is no amonia i bought premium fiji live rock and tonga branch that was cured and cycled in a local saltwater store for about6 months befor i got it into my tank...well off to bed will update on the lifeguard tomorrow

·
Registered
839 Posts
You definitely a test kit. Your tank most likely went through another cycle after you added the LR....even though you bought cured. I wouldn't do anything until you get you water tested. And don't even think about added any fish for a couple month. You may want to look up the ick treatment you bought and check it's ingredients.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes regin...i will be going to the store today and i will pick one up...if anything there would be alot of slime growing but there is just enough on the bed its not a thick layer and there are no air bubbles sticking to it but i jus want some ideas on how to get rid of it a few ppl have told me turbo;s will take care of it and i will be checking into the lifeguard it said it was safe for inverts so im assuing there was no copper in it at all...well hopeing as much as that i wouldnt want to restart ... that would be a pain ... ave never had problems befor and im wondering what i did wrong this time i have moved into filling my tanks as soon as i did with this one .. on my 39 gal i had corals in there on the second week !!! and they all strived and i set the tank up and cycled it the exact same way...but i will take in the help and try to do what i can and kepe everyone posted with pic's and posts !

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Active ingredient: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone.

those are the ingredients of the lifeguard its treats a bucnch of stuff but said it was not suitible for inverts and not made for new tanks !!!! EEEEEEK !!! i hope i didnt mess up anything in the process ! I will Just have to take it one step at a time and give it time to cycle out and ina month or so put a single mushroom or something small and cheep in there to see how it reacts ... as long as i keep up with my water changes i should b alrright and everything should cycle out correct ?

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no there is no copper in the lifeguardso it is safe to use wit live rock but it is NOT invert combatible .... so dont use if u have a reef tank that is actally full of inverts...i outhgt some white shell blue leg crabs and some troch snails...hopefully that takes care of the problem ... also a few more small pices of live rock il take a few pics when i have some moer tiem off towork you gys have a good day....

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also i was thinkin ( when the time comes ) that to add fish to this tank ... i would add eiither a tru perc or a maroon clown...also a fire fish...so there will only be 2 fish in this 10 gal...if it continues to to give me probs im going to upgrade to a 20 tall !!! since i already have the lights that will fit and all i will have to do is start sycling the tank befor i transfer everything over !!! let me know if thats a good idea or if i shuold stick it out on the tank i have thanks for all the input !

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Don't be so quick to give up on the 10 yet. Give it some time and let it settle down first. Let it finish the cycle, start maturing, then add 1 fish. Wait some more (while testing the water often) and then add the second. Then, if you decide you want a larger tank then upgrade it but it is still too soon to give up on the 10 and upgrade it this soon after getting it set up.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea im not going to give up on it yet...im going to stick it out...on the live rock i bought the other day thre was a single coral on it small like it just sorta migrated to the rock so we will see how that takes and if it thrives or if it just dies off either way it will tell about how the tank is going ... idk why i decided to go nano but i would like to see how this pans out .... they are beautiful tanks and mature quickyl once started but we will see i will keep posting along the way froms tart to finish with new pictures and what not thanks everyone !

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok ....so everything is doing alot better the snails and the crabs did a worl dof difference actully i dont know if it was the crabs n what not or just time... i did not do a water change yet since i have posted and the slime is gone so i am going to get more live rock in the morning and a cleaner shrimp to keep it all happy and clean...the coraline algea is taking hold and spreading good i will take pics in the after noon and post again befor work .. thanks for the advice .... the littel tanks are a lil more sensative then larger but thats about it !

·
Registered
747 Posts
also i was thinkin ( when the time comes ) that to add fish to this tank ... i would add eiither a tru perc or a maroon clown...also a fire fish...so there will only be 2 fish in this 10 gal...if it continues to to give me probs im going to upgrade to a 20 tall !!! since i already have the lights that will fit and all i will have to do is start sycling the tank befor i transfer everything over !!! let me know if thats a good idea or if i shuold stick it out on the tank i have thanks for all the input !
the maroon clown will get bigger and will have to be transfered. If you want a permanent home for a fish i would get the percs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.